Can't connect to ONE particular website.
krbarnes

Everything was working fine Sunday.  On Monday, I could not connect to www.rwgforum.com from home.  I had my work laptop VPN'd into my company's network, and I could access the site from there, but not from any of the 5 computers I have at home.  I even tried booting one of my laptops into a fresh install of Ubuntu Linux, and couldn't connect.

I did an nslookup of the site and get a "Non-authoritative answer:":  IP address = 217.23.x.xxx

I tried to ping,  but go no response.

Tracert dies - can't find the site.

All other sites work, and I can get to it from my office, but not home, and the same computer running the same browser can access the site when I am VPN'd to my office network, but now when connected to my home VERIZON FIOS network, so it's not a problem with my computer.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Can't connect to ONE particular website.
Hubrisnxs
Legend

do a traceroute to the site, post the results here. 

0 Likes
krbarnes

Here's what I get from a tracert.

Tracing route to rwg.cc [217.23.1.128]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]

2     8 ms     6 ms     7 ms  10.33.34.57

3  rwg.cc [217.23.1.128]  reports: Destination host unreachable.

Trace complete.

0 Likes
krbarnes

I also tried changing my DNS servers to the ones provided by OpenDNS, but still didn't work.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

give us a trace to rwgforum.com

the rwg.cc moved so i don't know what they are doing with that domain.

0 Likes
frankmb

C:\Users\F>tracert rwgforum.com

Tracing route to rwgforum.com [217.23.1.128]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     4 ms     4 ms  L100.NWRKNJ-VFTTP-104.verizon-gni.net [9{edited for privacy}
  2  G4-0-0-1804.NWRKNJ-LCR-08.verizon-gni.net [130.81.131.12]  reports: Destina
tion host unreachable.

Trace complete.

Tried it.  Looks like I can't get there too and is being blocked by Verizon.   Used a web proxy and went in just fine.

0 Likes
krbarnes

ok, what's a web proxy?  I've seen that config in my browser.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

yeah I see that traceroute.  Now if a proxy allows you in, then what is happening is that website has blocked the ip address you have in your router.   You may be able to call VZ tech support and have them break the lease on the ip address (you can use that verbiage) And then reboot the router, and you may get a new IP Address.   The new ip address won't be blocked by the website just like it isn't blocking the ip address from the proxy.    

You can also try you're luck with rebooting the router, and trying to get a new ip, chances are it will grab the same ip address, or if you really don't want to call Verizon, you can leave the router unplugged for about 5-30 minutes, and then when you turn it back on, your hope is that it gets a new ip on it's own. 

So verizon isn't technically blocking it, because if it was you would be blocked 100% from getting there, but the site can impose blocks to certain ip's or blocks of ips, and it sounds like they have blocked the ip that you have. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

for a web proxy, I just google anonymous browsing, and then a website will come up, I think I have used http://www.greensurf.info/ before, and it worked pretty well.   but basically the site will come up and you you browse the web through their site.   works pretty well.   the configs in your browser require you set up a local proxy host or get connected to something like privoxy or tor.

for what you want to do a general proxy site will work just fine, so you can google anonymous browsing and there are a ton out there.

or try the suggestions above

0 Likes
krbarnes

OK, I Googled "free web proxy" and just picked one. 

I was able to get into the site through the proxy, so yes, there is definitely something going on with Verizon here.

0 Likes