Can't connect to network with hardwired desktop
mkoslosk
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a network set up in my house with a wireless router.  However, my desktop (MS Vista Enterprise) is and always has been hardwired to the router.  Out of the blue the desktop no longer recognizes the network and cannot connect or get online.  All other wireless devices work fine.  I have tried rebooting the computer, rebooting the router, completing a system restore, none of which have helped.  I do notice that in Device Manager that Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3 is "not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required (Code 31)."  When I troubleshoot the problem it tells me that Windows is looking for and cannot find a wireless adapter (of which I've never had one).

Any idea what may have gone wrong and/or what I need to do to correct it?  I'm out of ideas.

0 Likes
Re: Can't connect to network with hardwired desktop
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I would suggest that you're problem is Microsoft related and not related to FiOS.  You might have a better chance of getting a helpful answer in one of many MS support forums.

Having said that, I did a little searching and found many existing threads on various forums concerning a similar problem to yours.  One solution offered several times was to right click on the problem  ISATAP device in device manager, delete the device, and reboot.

Try that at your own risk, of course.  I might try that were I having the problem, but I would create a restore point before deleting the device. 

Good luck!

0 Likes
mkoslosk
Enthusiast - Level 3
I tried it but it didn't help.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

issue a ping and tell us what the results are

Vista is notorious for all kindsa fun TCPI/IP networking problems.    the error code you get, or the response you get could lead you one direction or another.   Error transmit failed 1231 was very popular, and that was typically a Norton firewall issue, or a full reinstall of nic

in general I remember uninstalling and reinstalling a lot of drivers for NIC's when Vista was king.

Using the ping command to verify your Internet connection

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hello Lena,

Thank you for posting!

Based on my experience, Microsoft ISATAP with error code 31 is an ignorable issue. For more information, please refer to the following KB article:

(KB932520) On a Windows Vista-based computer, the Microsoft ISATAP adapter appears with a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager, and you also receive an error message

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;932520

In such a case, I suspect this problem to be caused by network adapter missing or corrupt. Please firstly reinstall the driver for your wireless network adapter. Then try to reinstall Microsoft ISATAP using following steps:

1. In Device Manger, right-click the item of Microsoft ISATAP and select Uninstall.
  2. Still in Device Manager, click Action and select Add legacy hardware.
  3. Click Next, and select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced), click Next.
  4. Select Network Adapters and click Next.
  5. Select Microsoft in left panel and Microsoft ISATAP Adapter in the right panel.
  6. Click Next and finish the remaining wizard.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

0 Likes
mkoslosk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately I took the "at your own risk" suggestion above and uninstalled the network adapter.  Now I can't get the computer to start even in safe mode.  I just get a blank screen.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ouch.  That's painful just to read.

Again, it seems you're having a problem that would be better handled on an MS forum, but if I were in the same boat, I'd look to see if the network adapter was a standalone card, in a PCI slot, rather than integral to the motherboard.

If it is a PCI card, I'd unplug it and see if  that would let the computer to boot up.

If the network card is integrated to the motherboard....I dunno.  No idea jumps out at the moment, aside from completely re-installing Windows.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try unplugging all USB devices except for the keyboard. The Computer may have decided to not like something plugged into it when the driver was uninstalled.

0 Likes
mkoslosk
Enthusiast - Level 3

That didn't help, but I appreciate your trying.  I think she's dead.  Time to visit a store.

0 Likes
mkoslosk
Enthusiast - Level 3
While I do appreciate everyone's attempt, this wasn't "solved." One of the suggestions killed my computer. I had to buy a new one and pay another $90 to extract the data from my old hard drive. Definitely not "solved."
0 Likes