Re: Can't get MoCa adapters to work
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The "TV Out" connector on the goCoax adapter filters MoCA signals, as it's for a non-MoCA TV.  You can't use this output for a Verizon set-top-box.  Use a splitter to feed both the goCoax's input and the set-top-box.  Leave the goCoax's "TV Out" connector unused.

Make sure you understand the full coax network between the ONT and the various devices.  While MoCA can traverse lots of splitters, it doesn't do well with amplifiers or very large numbers of splitters.  And remember that an 8-way splitter is really seven 2-way splitters inside a single case.  If you've got more splitters than needed, remove some.  If there are any amplifiers installed, remove them - they are not needed for fios.

And follow Cang_household's suggests for a step-by-step debugging process.

soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got it working!  Thank you everyone for all the help.

It turns out that the issue was how a switch was interacting with the network.  On the main floor where the set top box was I have a dumb switch for getting a connection to several different devices.  When I plugged the MoCa into the switch none of those devices was getting data but when I plugged directly into a device it would.

THEN plugging the device back into the switch I would get data.  My guess is that the devices each needed to connect directly to the MoCa without the switch for some kind of DHCP or other network configuration then they were good to go through the switch.

Thanks again for putting up with me the past few days and thanks again for all the direction, definitely helped.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Appreciate the update and glad you got it working.

Now you may understand why I and others asked for pictures and diagrams; there was no mention of a switch until your most recent post.  We often see threads like this where the OP leaves out a detail as they don't think it's important, but it turns out to be important.

I'm assuming you mean an Ethernet switch.  If so, having one attached to the Ethernet port on a MoCA adapter and then plugging devices into it should work fine.  The switch should happily  pass DHCP packets between the router and devices.  If it's not, there's a problem with the switch or it's not as "dumb" as you think it is.  If you want to investigate further, post detailed diagrams showing the Ethernet connection from the MoCA adapter to the switch and then to the devices.  Include the switch's manufacture and model number.