Can't get WCB6200Q to recognize MOCA network via coax
Doc9898
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I also bought the WCB6200Q on Amazon and can't get it to recognize the MOCA network via coax. I had and have an MR2411 actiontec that works as a MOCA bridge no problem so not sure whats the issue. On firmware version 1.1.10.20 right now. Was assured on Amazon it would work!

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't get WCB6200Q to recognize MOCA network via coax
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not sure who assured you on Amazon that it would work. WCB6200Q has multiple compatibility issues with other MoCA standards and Actiontec is slow to fix them because the chip in it is already EOL.

As of today, my suggestions are 1) WCB6200Q should not be used in newer installations. 2) Decommission all WCB6200Q units from the network ASAP.

For wireless MoCA bridge alternatives, I recommend a used G1100 configured in bridge mode, OR an E3200, which is slightly overkill.

For wired MoCA bridge alternatives, you have a myriad of choices. Fios Network Adapter ($55), MoCA Ethernet Adapter ($99), goCoax 2.5...

Could you list all MoCA devices on your network? Thanks. Also Actiontec MR211 is EOL and EOS as of September 2020. Security patch development has ended and all existing units are vulnerable to attacks. MR211 should be decommissioned ASAP as well.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not sure who assured you on Amazon that it would work. WCB6200Q has multiple compatibility issues with other MoCA standards and Actiontec is slow to fix them because the chip in it is already EOL.

As of today, my suggestions are 1) WCB6200Q should not be used in newer installations. 2) Decommission all WCB6200Q units from the network ASAP.

For wireless MoCA bridge alternatives, I recommend a used G1100 configured in bridge mode, OR an E3200, which is slightly overkill.

For wired MoCA bridge alternatives, you have a myriad of choices. Fios Network Adapter ($55), MoCA Ethernet Adapter ($99), goCoax 2.5...

Could you list all MoCA devices on your network? Thanks. Also Actiontec MR211 is EOL and EOS as of September 2020. Security patch development has ended and all existing units are vulnerable to attacks. MR211 should be decommissioned ASAP as well.

Doc9898
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just wrote a ton of things to say but lost it all when I tried logging in so I will have to make it brief.

Basically I got it working. Got to update firmware to 1.1.10.20.re.

Now works.

Major pain.

Thanks

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would predict you will see packet drops and frequent disconnects in the future.

If you are not connecting anything sensitivity to connectivity on the WCB6200Q, that's fine. I would still recommend to avoid the WCB6200Q in the future.

Doc9898
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why packet drops and disconnects? Thats really what I was experiencing with the MI424WR and reason for upgrade in hardware. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I saw some customers who upgraded to the .re firmware still encountered packet loss from time to time.

If the firmware upgrade worked for you, that's great.

Doc9898
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well this is just for the bed room handling web surfing and streaming needs. I benchmarked with Ookla Internet speed test and got about 65 Mbps on the 2.4ghz band and 300 Mbps rates on the 5.0 ghz band with being only like ten feet away and direct line of sight. Emailed Sunbeam regarding packet loss concerns and they said if I notice it to please let them know and they will work on it. Question is I have no idea how to tell I am loosing packets. Anyhow in the basement where all my computers are located I am using the Sunbeam Moca to Ethernet 2.5 adapter. That works pretty well and getting 300 mbps rates with direct ethernet hookups. 

Thanks

0 Likes