Can't get iTunes "Home Sharing" to work...
morrisons2010

Before we switched to FIOS, we had Comcast and the Home Sharing on iTunes worked fine.  Now, some setting must be different because I can't get the libraries from 2 different computers to "talk" to each other.  I have all the settings in iTunes correct, but each doesn't "show up" on the other's network.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Can't get iTunes "Home Sharing" to work...
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

From http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Itunes-Sharing-not-working-over-wireless/m-p/197152

So this morning I was playing the Windows 7 laptop and decided to delete my windows wireless profile on the laptop called home and my existing home SSID on the Verizon router.  I created a new SSID called boo with no security.  I connected to that SSID and Itunes sharing worked between the desktop and laptop.  I then added WPA2/PSK to the boo SSID and sharing still worked.  Finally I went back to my original SSID called home and WPA2/PSK, recreated the home profile and Itunes sharing worked again.

I then went to the Windows Vista Laptop and without making any changes to it, Itunes sharing worked.

So in the end it seems deleting the current SSID configuration and rebuilding it on the verizon router cured the problem (for now).

^^

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure why deleting and recrating the SSID would work or if it will "stick".   I had this problem crop up a while ago as well .... everything was working fine for me and then one day it stopped working.   I did a dump of the ActionTec router from Verzion and discovered that they had turned on "wireless privacy"  (you can't find this in the web interface, but you can see it in a dump of the conifguration file).

Essentially, what this setting change did is make it such that wireless clients can not see one another.   This is a common configuration employed by public access hotspots (such as at a Starbucks) to prevent you from communicating via the router with anyone else's wireless machine (preventing hackers and such from directly attacking your machine).   They can of course sniff the air for packets and still see your traffic potentially.

I solved my problem by turning off the wireless in the ActionTec and using my own Belkin access point on which I configured it to allow side to side communication.

This is why if one of the partners in the connection is wireless and one is wired, it works fine.   The restriction only applied between wireless clients.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lasagna wrote:

I did a dump of the ActionTec router from Verzion and discovered that they had turned on "wireless privacy"  (you can't find this in the web interface, but you can see it in a dump of the conifguration file).

How do you dump the router config?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

When I had the problem, it was between a wired and wireless clients.  I don't know why deleting the SSID profile on the laptop fixed the problem but it worked.  Its certainly worth a shot.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into the router and select the Advanced settings.  There's a item to dump the router configuration on that screen -- it'll download a file to your PC-- you can just open it with Notepad is it's just a text file.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lasagna wrote:

Log into the router and select the Advanced settings.  There's a item to dump the router configuration on that screen -- it'll download a file to your PC-- you can just open it with Notepad is it's just a text file.

Thanks

On the Westell it actually just says configuration file and when you open that it displays the file and there are options to save and load the config file.

Possibly using this I can get rid of the garbage duplicate VZ port forwarding rules that they keep adding without having to do a full reset and then re-adding my own private rules.

A new toy to experiment with!!

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the reason it didnt work is because you changed routers.

You were connected with your belkin when you were on the other ISP and had set up internal networking via the belkin.

When Verizon came in, you got a new router. The actiontec (or westell). This operates on a different network address. Therefore your computers could not see each other. At this point you could have removed the Ituns sharing and re-install it from scratch on the new router and it would have worked.

But you did the other simple thing, put the belkin back in, your system knew how to use its ip scheme, and it worked again because it is again connected to the network it was set up on.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can turn off uPnP on the router if you don't want to see those "rules" appear.   Be aware however that those "garbage" rules are your STB's setting up connectivity across the Internet so that they can be addressed by the head-end (such as for the remote DVR functions, and the abiiity to reset the box from your Verizon account web page, etc.)  .   So taking out or preventing the Verizon STB rules could have unintended consequences.