Can't get rid of self-assigned IP in Network Preferences on MacbookPro
livin19651

My wife's Macbook Air has a normal external IP address and she can connect to our Verizon FIOS network without any issues.  My Macbook Pro has a self-assigned IP address and will NOT connect at all.  I'm not sure when this happened as we usually use the network from our Time Capsule that is plugged into the router and that continues to work for both of us.  Both computers are running 10.7.4.

I've tried adding the DNS servers that she has listed on her computer and renewing the DHCP lease but continue to get a self-assigned IP.  I also followed the suggestions here with no changes to the current problem:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20117247-263/fixing-airport-problems-in-os-x/

Any suggestions on how to fix this so that the Macbook Pro will allow the IP to come through the router instead of being self-assigned?  Is there another Verizon tech support place I should be soliciting help?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Can't get rid of self-assigned IP in Network Preferences on MacbookPro
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Is it hardwired or wireless?

If it is hardwired, make sure you are plugged into a numbered port with an ethernet cable going to the MAC, and check the light on the number you are plugged into.  if no light, then the cable could be bad or the port on the router could be bad (small chance that it may be the ethernet plug on your macbook, easy test would be to plug your wife pc in with same cable same port)

If you are wireless, it's important that you do join other network and type all the security info manually by hand.  the ESSID and WEP/WPA2 key are found on the router.  You need that info and not the "login password"  login password is for something different. 

0 Likes
livin19651

Thanks much for the reply.  I'm wireless.  I am unable to actually delete the Verizon router network to force it to make me re-enter the password.  I've tried deleting EVERYTHING related to my networks in Keychain Access.  I've also reset the SMC.  I've deleted the Network from my Networks list in Network Preferences.  In all cases, even though I had to re-select the network after deleting Keychain Access info, it did not require re-entry of username and password.  I'd like to find the file that has this and delete it.  But, I don't know where it is.  Also, my wife's Macbook Air and our iMac connect to the Verizon network fine and they have external iP info in Network Prefs.  My MBP is the only one that is insisting on providing a self-assigned IP and is the only one that can't connect so I'm pretty sure that's the problem I just don't know how to fix it or make it stop self-assinging an IP or get rid of whatever files are forcing this and preventing it from finding external IPs like the Macbook Air and iMac are doing.  THoughts?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

When you do join other network it lets you do the password.   

If it is WEP security then you choose wep or password.   if it's wpa2 security then you choose wpa2.   But this is what will let you get to a point where you can type in the correct ESSID and WPA or WEP key from your routers sticker.  

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

So the WEP key and MAC are the same?  That's unfortunate.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@weedeater wrote:

So the WEP key and MAC are the same?  That's unfortunate.

My Photoshop senses are tingling. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised of that happening with older ActionTec models that came with keys that could be calulcated based on MAC. Three formulas is all you needed back then to get access to any FiOS router you wanted.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

You can always change the key, and should.  And in fact you should in fact change from wep to WPA2 security with at least a 20 character passphrase.

0 Likes
Cooper34
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been searching for two days to figure this out.  Your solution worked perfect and I was online in 1 minute!  Thanks so very much.