Can't map drive over VPN
TimJ3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

Am somehow unable to map drives or browse folders over a vpn connection, though I can connect and ping the server.  Name resolution is working as well.

Have Windows 7 Pro, FIOS with Actiontec router.  And I even believe we have successfully done this before.  Work is suggesting that Verizon might block that traffic, but I can't find any info to that effect.

Any suggestions or wisdom?

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Can't map drive over VPN
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Currently Verizon doesn't block any kind of traffic like that. If your spamming or doing something illegal, then maybe, but a lot of people use that type of service. You might have a firewall issue or a router port forwarding issue. Id double check the configuration and then check both the windows firewall and then whatever other firewall you may have. Go so far as to disable both and then try it and see if it works...
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TimJ wrote:

Hi,

Am somehow unable to map drives or browse folders over a vpn connection, though I can connect and ping the server.  Name resolution is working as well.

Have Windows 7 Pro, FIOS with Actiontec router.  And I even believe we have successfully done this before.  Work is suggesting that Verizon might block that traffic, but I can't find any info to that effect.

Any suggestions or wisdom?

Thanks,

Tim

I don't believe VZ blocks any outbound traffic except email on port 25.

Sounds more like a security issue.  You are logged on with a domain id that has access to the required drive?  Did you try mapping the drive and selecting the option to connect using a different user?

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@TimJ wrote:

Am somehow unable to map drives or browse folders over a vpn connection, though I can connect and ping the server. 

If you are able to establsih the connection for the VPN, then VZ is not blocking anythiing.  Once the VPN is established, VZ can't see any of the encrypted packets traversing the VPN.  As others have said, it's most likely a security issue.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct ... to emphasize what anti-phish said ... if the VPN comes up, then the traffic to that server is "inside" another packet and encrypted.   Verizon doesn't see that content -- they just see the traffic as some "VPN" data. 

If you can see the remote host once you bring up the VPN, then it is your company's network which is where the limitation would be -- perhaps either via a firewall between the head end of the VPN and the backend company network (after your traffic exits the VPN tunnel on the company side).

The other possibilities are that you could have a local firewall on your PC which is blocking the traffic.   Since your company network will appear to be a "remote" network and not the same as the local network to which your PC think's it's attached, it may be blocking traffic like filesharing, etc.   So, check the local PC firewall (or temporarily disable it) to see if block it.

It's also possible that you are encountering MTU issues if some things "work" to the server but other things work really slowly or hang.  This is caused by a packet fragmentation issue (namely the DF bit being set and some Microsoft protocols lately have been observed inexplicably setting this bit even though the protocol might not require it).   You don't indicate the type of VPN client you are using -- but you can download a utility which will let you reduce your MTU size (DrTCP is one) and try lowering your MTU to 1300 as a test (it's normally 1500 for ethernet networks).