Can't use Wi-Fi Connect feature
Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3
Verizon has been offering free Wi-Fi on the Boingo network to people who sign up for 25/25 FiOS service, which involves downloading software called "Wi-Fi Connect" to your laptop. When you're within range of a network (say, at a Starbucks or an airport), a pop-up is supposed to appear so you can enter your username and password and get access to the network. That's the theory. In fact, it's yet to work for me -- even though I've tried it at six different places where XP confirms that networks are coming in loud and clear. (I can access the sign-in pages for Boingo.) Talking to several Verizon techs has yielded nothing other than a suggestion to uninstall and reinstall the program, which I've done. If there was a problem with the download, it continues to be a problem after a second attempt. Has anyone else run into this issue, or managed to use the Wi-Fi Connect feature successfully?
0 Likes
Re: Can't use Wi-Fi Connect feature
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Kent, sorry you're having trouble with your wi-fi connect. Take a look at this website:   http://www.verizon.net/central/portlets/broadbandWiFi/hotSpotSearch.jsp 

It gives a list of all the Verizon wi-fi hot spots. The feature will only work with those listed. So even if XP shows several connections available, it may not be one that Verizon is able to use.  There's 3 ways to view available hotspots:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/Setup/Wi-Fi/124660.htm.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks for your response, Kim. I've seen the list and I've taken my laptop to places that appear on that list -- Boingo sites -- but the software won't connect.
0 Likes
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Boingo hotspots are not all the same as Verizon hotspots. The lists can be quite different. Have you tried to conn on hotspots specifically on Verizon's list?

0 Likes
Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yes. The problem is clearly with the software, not with my location relative to qualifying networks.
0 Likes
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Ok, sorry you're still having problems connecting. We have a support line just for wifi issues, you can call 877-269-9441. They're available 24/7.

0 Likes
Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks. I had been given a different Wi-Fi-specific toll-free number, which led me to a young man in India who suggested that I uninstall and reinstall the software (again -- even though that hadn't worked the first time I did it). I was hoping that someone on this forum could provide some specific suggestions. I'm also curious about whether others are having the same problem, or used to have this problem until they found a solution.
0 Likes
Franco

hello kent,

I understand you had problems using the wifi-connect feature at hotspots, I am having a similar issue, could you solve it?

Thank You,

Franco

0 Likes
Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3
Alas, no. Despite posting on several boards and talking to several folks at Verizon, I've been unable to use the feature and have basically just given up.
0 Likes
mdcatdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

Add me, too. I'm running Windows 7. A Verizon tech support person told me to look in the Adminstration Control Panel and then go to Services. In Services he told me to look for WirelessZeroAutoconfig.

When I couldn't find it, he said that was probably the problem.

However, later I found out that  WirelessZeroAutoconfig was replaced by WWANAutoConfig in Vista and Windows 7.

Mine was set to manual activation (apparently the Verizon software didn't do so), so I set it to Automatic but the

only thing it's enable so far is an update of Verizon Hotspots...not that I can connect with them

0 Likes