Can the G3100 Utilize Both Coax and Ethernet Connections?
theblanks
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the G3100 connected to the ONT via ethernet as I was told that's the best option with Gigabit service.  We also dropped TV service which opened up coax connections throughout the house.  Since I cannot relocate the G3100 I assume to utilize a coax connection on the E3200 I'd have to also use coax from the ONT to the G3100.  Is that the case or could I:

ONT->ethernet->G3100

G3100->coax->E3200 + G3100->ethernet->four ethernet switches

Can the G3100 utilize both coax and ethernet connections?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can the G3100 Utilize Both Coax and Ethernet Connections?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mchytil wrote:

I wish I knew about this option!  It's too late for me because I ran Cat6 cables.  I still can't find the item on verizon.com.  Can you point us to the right webpage?

You're better off with cat6, ethernet is faster than any MoCA option out there now. Here is the link...

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For gigabit service, the ONT has to be connected to the router using ethernet.

To uplink E3200 to G3100, just make sure to have a coax link between G3100 and E3200. If you use coax splitters on the path between G3100 and E3200, ensure they are MoCA 2.0 or 2.5 compatible (i.e. have a frequency rating over 1150MHz).

The ONT's coax is irrelevant to MoCA LAN. G3100's ethernet LAN and Coax LAN are simultaneously enabled. G3100 has a 4 port switch, as well as an MoCA endpoint.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is easy.  Plug the G3100 into coax.  Plug the E3200 into coax.  Assuming the two coax ports are connected to the same coax network, you're done.

Don't worry about the ONT.  There is no need to disconnect it from coax, unless you want to neaten the cables.

mchytil
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have also done:

ONT -> Ethernet -> G3100 -> Coax -> Actiontec MoCA 2.0 -> Ethernet switch -> Computer

Useful for location where it is difficult/impossible to run a new Cat6 cable, such as 2nd floor rooms.  My speeds topped off at about 700/400Mbps up/down over coax/MoCA on a coax network that is close to 30 years old.  You'll need a MoCA adapter at every coax outlet and each adapter runs about $100 and needs a power outlet nearby.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mchytil wrote:

You'll need a MoCA adapter at every coax outlet and each adapter runs about $100 and needs a power outlet nearby.

Verizon provides FiOS Network Adapter ECB5240M costs $55 each. I would prefer buying from Verizon instead of the manufacture Actiontec, unless you want to change MoCA channel and speeds over gigabit.

mchytil
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wish I knew about this option!  It's too late for me because I ran Cat6 cables.  I still can't find the item on verizon.com.  Can you point us to the right webpage?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mchytil wrote:

You're better off with cat6, ethernet is faster than any MoCA option out there now. Here is the link...

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/