Can you bypass ONT with sfp router?
spocklogical

I was wondering if it's possible for residential customers to use they're own fiber terminating device.

I have a router with gigabit sfp ports and I can get an sfp module for whatever length of fiber Virizon uses for my location.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can you bypass ONT with sfp router?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Can't be done. Verizon uses one fiber with a SC APC connector that uses different wavelengths. SFP modules use two fibers one send and one receive with an LC connector. 

Also SFP modules on routers and switches are typically used for connecting a router/switch to another switch that is in another building or a long cable run that would be outside of the 325 feet ethernet limit. No real use in a residential setting. 

The ONT is on Verizon's side if the demarc. You don't have to rent it from them. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@spocklogical wrote:

I was wondering if it's possible for residential customers to use they're own fiber terminating device.

I have a router with gigabit sfp ports and I can get an sfp module for whatever length of fiber Virizon uses for my location.

Verizon does not allow what you want to do. They run the fiber up to their ONT then ethernet /coaxial from the ont to your home router. 

0 Likes
spocklogical
Do you know if they use a proprietary protocol for the the fiber transmission, or if it's just a policy/terms of service restriction?
0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@spocklogical wrote:
Do you know if they use a proprietary protocol for the the fiber transmission, or if it's just a policy/terms of service restriction?

I am not an engineer nor do i work for verizon. Verizon as a business supplies the fiber and the ONT to the home or business. It is not the property of the consumer even though it is either attached to your home or in your home. It is property of verizon.

like any company they would not want anyone tampering with their property.

I would hazard a guess its a business decision.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Can't be done. Verizon uses one fiber with a SC APC connector that uses different wavelengths. SFP modules use two fibers one send and one receive with an LC connector. 

Also SFP modules on routers and switches are typically used for connecting a router/switch to another switch that is in another building or a long cable run that would be outside of the 325 feet ethernet limit. No real use in a residential setting. 

The ONT is on Verizon's side if the demarc. You don't have to rent it from them. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is some technical issue.

Remember that the ONT is designed to offer Internet, TV and Phone.

They have control over the ONT to enable each of the services.

cyberzero
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi jonjones, similar question here.

Is that means the DHCP mode is the ONLY mode I can choose on my own router, even i am planning to use some "advanced/upgraded" routers from Ubiquiti/MikroTik? Now i am using my own Asus AC68U router right after the ONT (model:I-21M-L) via ethernet cable, without using any VZ router between them.

If DHCP is not the only option, please advise if any better mode (PPPoe, etc.)should be chosen in my own router setting? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You don’t need to use a verizon router for internet only service. DHCP is obtainable on any router be it verizons branded ones or your own router. You can initialize any settings on your own router for your home network. On verizon routers alas they pretty much lock them down and of course verizon has a protocol where they access your router at will. Both for updates and support services. Thats why verizon does not support customer owned routers.

however for the new fios one tv you will need a verizon Quantum router. If you have tv service. Other than that verizon supplies the fiber to the home to the ont and then the connection to the router.

akaguyver

"Also SFP modules on routers and switches are typically used for connecting a router/switch to another switch that is in another building or a long cable run that would be outside of the 325 feet ethernet limit. No real use in a residential setting. "

thats not true

sfp and sfp+ modules are often used in short runs for 10gb and 1gb connections. there are sfp rj45 modules that you can plug regular cat6 patch cables to as well as fiber sfp modules

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@akaguyver wrote:

"Also SFP modules on routers and switches are typically used for connecting a router/switch to another switch that is in another building or a long cable run that would be outside of the 325 feet ethernet limit. No real use in a residential setting. "

thats not true

sfp and sfp+ modules are often used in short runs for 10gb and 1gb connections. there are sfp rj45 modules that you can plug regular cat6 patch cables to as well as fiber sfp modules

Yes it is true and what you said is also true. There are many different uses for SFP modules but connecting to a Verizon ONT is not one of them. Which is the point I was trying to make to the original poster. I didn’t think is was necessary to go over all the different ways to use SFPs.