Re: Can you bypass ONT with sfp router?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The point's moot really.   It's about the demarc point.   Verizon owns the fiber and the ONT up to the designated demarc which is defined as the "customer side" of the ONT (i.e. the ethernet, coax, and phone ports). 

Jskilljr

It should work with a ubiquiti’s UF-LOCO or UF-NANO.   https://www.ui.com/ufiber/ufiber-loco/
https://www.ui.com/fiber/ufiber-nano/

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Ubiquti ONTs will not work either. The OLTs which is what the ONT connects to back at the central office are vendor specific. Verizon uses both BPON and GPON ONTs. Tellabs and Arris(now Commscope) and Alcatel(now Nokia). Each vendor use different OLTs. Fox example you can't mix Arris and Nokia GPON ONTs on the same PON. Verizon would have to install Ubiquiti OLTs at their central office for that ONT to work. 

jim_philly

For future googlers - I want to clarify something.  I'm not arguing that it can't be done due to Verizon policy - but I will challenge you on your basis that it's a single fiber with different TX/RX wavelengths and so you can't connect to it.  All you would need to physically achieve the link is a GPON SFP module, which are readily available.  Example: https://www.ui.com/accessories/gpon-network-accessories/

This was true in 2018 when your reply was posted.

0 Likes
martes-at-home
Enthusiast - Level 1

I believe this answer is a bit misinformed.  

The respondent is assuming that you are using a specific SFP transceiver which is setup for bi-directional communication media pairs.  There is in fact an SFP which fits the SC that the ONT is expecting, and the assumption that SFP is only used for specific switch-to-switch and switch-to-router communications is misleading at best.  (It is like saying that a dually pickup truck can never be used to pull a fifth wheel because you only ever see them (as a consumer not a hotshot or CDL driver) with a pickup-truck bed on the back.  Hence my references to it being misleading.  I believe the solution to this pseudo-issue is to get a LC to SC pig-tail and use the LC end to connect to the LC input of the SFP transceiver.  However, there is a guy in Canada who has a youtube upload from his use of an SC SFP transceiver in a PCIe card in one of his servers.  So there is such a thing and as I have been saying, what this respondent is saying is misleading at best. As far as verizon's requirements, I am not familiar enough to know if they would need the ONT to control some aspect of the service quality, and am also asking these questions while having fios Business provisioned for my home office and rack.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT is part of the Verizon network. ONT stores some information and is linked to one's account for speed provisioning. In summary, the ONT cannot be bypassed.