Can you port forward in a double NAT?
bajabes
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an asus router whose WAN port is plugged into an E3200 extender. If I wanted to port forward to a device that was connected to the asus router, would setting up a port forwarding rule through the fios web ui and then adding one to the asus router work? I get the setup is odd, but for sake of argument would this work? 

0 Likes
Re: Can you port forward in a double NAT?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

E3200 is not a router. If you put Asus router behind a VZ router, what is the purpose? If you are using the Asus as an access point, then you would reduce it to a layer 2 device and then bridge it to the LAN.

bajabes
Enthusiast - Level 1

"E3200 is not a router."
Understood, the asus router is behind a G3100 but that's not what it's physically plugged into. I didn't know if that would create additional complexity so wanted to be specific.

"If you put Asus router behind a VZ router, what is the purpose?"
None. The reason it's this way is because I recently switched from comcast to verizon. I had the comcast router in bridged mode. So when the verizon tech came, the G3100 wasn't put into bridged mode. I get why, we would probably lose some DVR functionality or something.

"If you are using the Asus as an access point..."
I'm not currently. I tried this, but devices wired to the asus router weren't connecting. Devices that were wirelessly connecting worked though. So if there's a way for wired devices to connect to the access point
here that would work. Maybe I did something wrong? The asus router is an RT-AX3000 if that helps. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bajabes wrote:

Devices that were wirelessly connecting worked though. So if there's a way for wired devices to connect to the access point

What IP address is the wireless client getting? Is it the same 192.168.1.0/24 from the G3100?