Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Can you port forward in a double NAT?

bajabes
Contributor
Contributor

Can you port forward in a double NAT?

Message 1 of 4
(456 Views)

I have an asus router whose WAN port is plugged into an E3200 extender. If I wanted to port forward to a device that was connected to the asus router, would setting up a port forwarding rule through the fios web ui and then adding one to the asus router work? I get the setup is odd, but for sake of argument would this work? 

3 REPLIES 3
Cang_Household
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Can you port forward in a double NAT?

Message 2 of 4
(446 Views)

E3200 is not a router. If you put Asus router behind a VZ router, what is the purpose? If you are using the Asus as an access point, then you would reduce it to a layer 2 device and then bridge it to the LAN.

bajabes
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(435 Views)

"E3200 is not a router."
Understood, the asus router is behind a G3100 but that's not what it's physically plugged into. I didn't know if that would create additional complexity so wanted to be specific.

"If you put Asus router behind a VZ router, what is the purpose?"
None. The reason it's this way is because I recently switched from comcast to verizon. I had the comcast router in bridged mode. So when the verizon tech came, the G3100 wasn't put into bridged mode. I get why, we would probably lose some DVR functionality or something.

"If you are using the Asus as an access point..."
I'm not currently. I tried this, but devices wired to the asus router weren't connecting. Devices that were wirelessly connecting worked though. So if there's a way for wired devices to connect to the access point
here that would work. Maybe I did something wrong? The asus router is an RT-AX3000 if that helps. 

Cang_Household
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 4
(323 Views)

@bajabes wrote:

Devices that were wirelessly connecting worked though. So if there's a way for wired devices to connect to the access point

What IP address is the wireless client getting? Is it the same 192.168.1.0/24 from the G3100?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title