Can you use an Apple Airport Extreme with the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. E?
pulseimages

I would like to get the Apple Airport Extreme because it operates on dual bands i.e. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz where the Actiontec only operates on the 2.4 GHz band. My home phone operates on 2.4 GHz and whenever I recieve an incoming call I lose internet connectivity. Can I use the Airport Extreme for Wifi instead of the Verizon router?

0 Likes
Re: Can you use an Apple Airport Extreme with the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. E?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@pulseimages wrote:

I would like to get the Apple Airport Extreme because it operates on dual bands i.e. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz where the Actiontec only operates on the 2.4 GHz band. My home phone operates on 2.4 GHz and whenever I recieve an incoming call I lose internet connectivity. Can I use the Airport Extreme for Wifi instead of the Verizon router?

Yes, you have to bridge the apple airport extreme, or use the following instructional walk through.

0 Likes
pulseimages

Thanks. I was also thinking does Verizon sell wireless routers that operate on the dual bands?

0 Likes
Williamh85

Do not follow that guide. That says to put your rotuer in bridge mode. DO NOT DO THAT! Not support and not even CLOSE to the right thing.

If U want to use ur Airport thats fine, Connect Lan from Verizon rotuer to WAN on ur rotuer. It will get an IP and work.

The only thing u want to do is Disable the wireless on the verizon rotuer as u wont be using it and DMZ the Ip ur rotuer pulls. Doing that will make sure u dont have any issues later.

U can buy a Gen3 router from verizon BUT we only support 1 rotuer, no matter if u get it from us or ebay. 1 Verizon Fios rotuer only. Its always better to get ur own rotuer if U want to do ur own thing.

0 Likes
ScottAB

Williamh85,

Hello!  I am using the Apple Extreme and the ActionTec and see your post below.  I basically am bridging the Apple extreme.  I saw your posting and maybe new info.  Have question on what you mean by the DMZ statement...  "sing it and DMZ the Ip ur rotuer pulls".  What exactly do you mean by this part?   Could  i still do DHCP off my extreme? that is not use it in bridge only mode?

I like the management it offers and would prefer to have it controlling lan.

So the  real core question is that I would also like to seperate traffic some how because I have TV wireless on this LAN in addition to Backups.  Being able to seperate the traffice to have two piplelines would be nice .  Any ideas on that.  Years ago in doing subnets etc .  I could do this.  Just not with the Action Tec router I guess.  

I would like to have Apple Computers on one LAN, PCs on another, and Television on a third LAN.    Only because of all the network backup traffic.

Right no I have Acton Tech feeding Apple Extreme in Bridge Mode.  Then I am uing Extenders to the Apple Extreme from TVs, etc., Computers use either hard or wireless LAN.

Any ideas?

SCott

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Williamh85 wrote:

Do not follow that guide. That says to put your rotuer in bridge mode.

It does NOT say that. 

That FAQ describes connecting the user router in a LAN-to-LAN configuration with the user router as a WAP.  Although slightly more complicated, a LAN-to-LAN configuration has fewer drawbacks than the LAN-to-WAN configuration you describe.  Drawbacks include creating two separate subnets and causing the devices on the second router to be double NAT'ed.

You also fail to point out that in the LAN-to-WAN configuration, the second router MUST have a different subnet address from the Actiontec.

You suggest buying the GEN3 router, but you also fail to point out that the GEN3 router does NOT support 5Ghz, which the OP indicated was a requirement,.

@Williamh85 wrote:

U can buy a Gen3 router from verizon BUT we only support 1 rotuer,

Are you speaking in an official VZ capacity?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

ScottAB wrote:

Have question on what you mean by the DMZ statement...  "sing it and DMZ the Ip ur rotuer pulls".  What exactly do you mean by this part?   Could  i still do DHCP off my extreme? that is not use it in bridge only mode?

In the LAN-to-WAN configuration, it's possible to put the AE in the Actiontec's DMZ.  This prevents having to create port forwards in both routers.  Go to Firewal Settings, DMZ Host and enter the IP address of the AE.  Any incoming traffic the Actiontec does not otherwise delivered will be forwarded to the AE without regard for port forwarding.

ScottAB wrote:

So the  real core question is that I would also like to seperate traffic some how because I have TV wireless on this LAN in addition to Backups.  Being able to seperate the traffice to have two piplelines would be nice .  Any ideas on that.   Just not with the Action Tec router I guess.  

Yes, you can do this with the Actiontec.  You would want to setup a VLAN for each subnet that you want.

For example, VLAN #1 for the AE.  VLAN #2 for the TV wireless, etc.

0 Likes
ScottAB

RU Still there?  I just now found you posted a response.

If you are there I am still working this problem out.

So today I am seeing that VLAN would be like different subnets.  Nobody at all ever mentoned this.   So my queston now becomes can I create four VLANs off the Action Tec?  Then can I have four DMZ hosts on each VLAN?

If so this would solve my issue. 

Or am I limited to the one DMZ on one VLAN?

Anyways, if your still around as the post was 2009.  I can have four VLANS.  One for my TVs,  One for my Apple Extreme ( which would have Apple computers underneath)  

Do you have instructions on setting up one VLAN?  Then can I dup this into four?  If so then can I add a DMZ host to each VLAN and then put a seperate router for each one?  If so my problems go away very quick because I can have four basic networks in my home  for PCs, apples, TVs,  computers that do long backup

0 Likes
ScottAB

Actually, Just realize you are still there.

So I had a follow on queston.

If I can configure 4 VLANs (one for each port.) 

Can I also have four DMZ hosts?  one  each VLAN?

Can I have four IP assignments or even two?

So these are what I want to do:

1) Have two computers facing Internet.  Two IP addresses.  I can dynamic DNS two IP addresses.  So can I have each of the VLANs get assigned a different address.  (Or two at least?)  I need one for external facint and one for my own private access to my files while on road.

2) The DMZ host you mentioned in earlier post will work for my Apple Extreme Router which then I can control all the ports in / out etc. Using all the Apple stuff.

3) Another VLAN for my TVs. 

4) VLAN for all my computer backups.

I travel so I use my sling box to access my satelite dish remote.  Then I also need access to one server at home for files, etc.  Also have one computer that serves a simple web page for  wikis for my students, firends etc.  

Anyways any help appreciated.  I just today saw your post from 2009.  You seem to have a clue on the Acton Tec.  Seems to me a lot of people are scrapping it because they do not understand it???

Scott

0 Likes