Cannot Connect My Apple Airport Time Capsule to the FIOS Optical Network Terminal
BM8000
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded my old airport express (~8 years old) with the latest Airport Time Capsule. The old airport worked flawlessly in replacement of the standard Verizon router, i.e.. it was directly connected to the Optical Network Terminal in the garage via an ethernet cable. When I hook up the new airport time capsule, it cannot get on the internet. It states that it has no IP or DNS. When I hook it up to my old airport through the LAN port setting it to "bridge" mode, then it can get on the internet...am I missing something in the set-up of the time capsule? I remember that the old airport 'just worked' after hooking it up and doing the standard 'airport utility' set-up on the Mac. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot Connect My Apple Airport Time Capsule to the FIOS Optical Network Terminal
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

When you swapped out the old router, did you release it's WAN DHCP lease before disconnecting it?

When connecting the new router (with a different MAC address) without releasing the DHCP lease, VZ won't issues a new DHCP lease until the old DHCP lease expires (two hours).

I'm not familiar with the AE, so I don't know if it has the ability to release the WAN DHCP lease.

If it doesn't, then you have two choices.

1)  Disconnect the the old router for two hours.  After that the new router should be able to get a new DHCP lease.

2)  Call VZ and ask them to release the DHCP lease.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15898

View solution in original post

Re: Cannot Connect My Apple Airport Time Capsule to the FIOS Optical Network Terminal
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

When you swapped out the old router, did you release it's WAN DHCP lease before disconnecting it?

When connecting the new router (with a different MAC address) without releasing the DHCP lease, VZ won't issues a new DHCP lease until the old DHCP lease expires (two hours).

I'm not familiar with the AE, so I don't know if it has the ability to release the WAN DHCP lease.

If it doesn't, then you have two choices.

1)  Disconnect the the old router for two hours.  After that the new router should be able to get a new DHCP lease.

2)  Call VZ and ask them to release the DHCP lease.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15898

BM8000
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks much for your reply! Very helpful! I unplugged my old airport at night before going to bed and the next morning I plugged in the time capsule, and it quickly went on line and showed its green light. Everything works now!

0 Likes