Cannot Login to MI424-WI Router
morettina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying to login to my router so that I can do some filtering and also verify how my security is set up.  But whenever I try to access it, I can type in the user name, but when I try to type in the password, each keystroke gives me multiple asterisks on the screen, and it tells me that login failed.   I've tried it with multiple browsers (Firefox which is at the latest level and IE8 which I don't usually use), but it acts the same with both.  I've also tried copying my password from the Tech Wizard info and then pasting it so I don't get the multiple characters, but I still get the login failed error message.  I have never changed the login & password on this router - it's my first time trying to access it.

How do I get in?

0 Likes
Re: Cannot Login to MI424-WI Router
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at: http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

0 Likes
Mauser
Enthusiast - Level 3

The multiple dots for each character is normal operation.  It is irritating, as it prevents you from cutting and pasting the password (or even having your browser remember it).

As for why you cannot get in - you either are not using the right user ID or not the correct password.  As usual - double check the caps lock key and only use the top number keys while trying to get things to work.

Tell us what model and rev your router is for other suggestions.  Since you have never logged in to the router before, everything should still be default, but the default login for MI424 gigabit routers is different than earlier revs. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

To logon in to the router
•Open up your browser
•Enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar.
•Press ENTER. The router's logon screen should appear

If you see a screen asking you to establish your initial user name and password, your router has been reset to factory defaults. You will need to enter a user name and password that you want to use to access the router's GUI in the future. When you've entered the user name and password you want to use, you should be taken to the router's main status page. 

Otherwise, enter your user name and password. Unless you have explicitly changed the user name and/or password, the username should be ADMIN and the password should be the router's serial number located on the service tag. The serial number should be entered in upper case. Once you've entered the user name and password, you should be taken to the router's main status page.

If you are still unable to logon in to the router, see the following FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »I can't login to the VZ router 

0 Likes
Mauser
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

To logon in to the router
•Open up your browser
•Enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar.
•Press ENTER. The router's logon screen should appear

If you see a screen asking you to establish your initial user name and password, your router has been reset to factory defaults. You will need to enter a user name and password that you want to use to access the router's GUI in the future. When you've entered the user name and password you want to use, you should be taken to the router's main status page. 

Otherwise, enter your user name and password. Unless you have explicitly changed the user name and/or password, the username should be ADMIN and the password should be the router's serial number located on the service tag. The serial number should be entered in upper case. Once you've entered the user name and password, you should be taken to the router's main status page.

If you are still unable to logon in to the router, see the following FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »I can't login to the VZ router 

This information is not correct for the MI424 rev I router - it has very different default security and does NOT ask you to change it on first connect.

0 Likes
morettina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had to reset the router.  Once I did that, I was finally able to login. It did ask me to change my password, but only after I was finally able to login for the first time.

Now to study the manual a bit to figure out the parental controls.  I need to keep my daughter from using WiFi on her iPhone after a certain time of day.  I'm also probably going to use WPA2 security, assuming our iPhones support it.  I've already disabled the SSID broadcast, so that's step 1 in securing the network.

0 Likes