Cannot Register username in WiFi setup!
parkingmachine
Enthusiast - Level 1

During registration for the WiFi service (access to hotspots)  You must pick a username and password.  Despite following the instructions and using several usernames of at least three characters, containing only letters - I get the error message:

"User name contains one or more invalid characters"

I have tried dozens of alternates using numbers, caps, etc. and have been carefull not to include any spaces or other characters.

Looking in the FAQ I saw something about users of 64Bit Vista needing to use 32 Bit IE8.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  I assume IE is 64 bit but haven't figured that out yet. 

Is this the problem?

0 Likes
Re: Cannot Register username in WiFi setup!
Justin46
Legend

I do not have an answer to your questions, I have not tried to register, but you should be able to easily see if 64-bit IE8 vs. 32-bit IE8 is the problem. I have a new laptop with 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, if I go into

Start ==> All Programs ==>

I see two entries for Internet Explorer, one for 64-bit and the other not identified (but it is the 32-bit version). Assuming yours is the same, you could start the 32-bit version and see if it works.

Of course it may also just be that Verizon has not yet figured out how to support Windows 7. For example, if you try to download and install the Verizon In-Home Agent, a tool they highly promote, it won't install on Windows 7, only XP and Vista. Not too bright in my opinion.....

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes