Cannot Send Emails
VerlzonCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I run my own family/friends only forums where family and friends can keep up to date on things. I use Phpbb3 and hmailserver to keep them up to date when there is a change on the forums.

It used to send out emails all the time using my own domain-name that I registered, through my own hmailserver mail server through port 25.

Lately mails are not being sent, I can recieve emails to my server but I cannot send them, this appears to be due to Verizon blocking port 25 outgoing whereas it did not used to do this.

If I am mistaken, please let me know.

I have been a customer for over 10 years, back when Verizon was GTE.net and I have always experienced great un-restricted  service

I would like this issue resolved asap or I will have to find a different ISP that does not block port 25 outgoing service, I would hate to do this as I have been exteremely pleased with Verizon through these years, but I must keep people updated.

Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot Send Emails
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If you're using Gmail's outbound server, it requires the following settings.

Server: smtp.gmail.com

Port: 465

Server Requires Authentication: Yes (This will be your Gmail username and password.)

Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): Yes

Additional configuration instructions can be found on Gmail's website here.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Yes, Verizon is blocking sending from 3rd party addresses via a client through port 25. You can try switching to port 587.

More information can be found here: http://www.verizon.net/port25

0 Likes
VerlzonCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the reply, I understand Verizon is now blocking outbound port 25 to prevent spam.

what about those of us who do not use this service for spam, but use it for legitimate reasons?

Is there a way to get on a "white list" based on my account, which if violated will block me after it has been violated?

I would simply purchase a Static IP, however, that is quite a bit more expensive and I cannot afford that.

certainly there must be a way around this other than me leaving to another ISP?

Regards

0 Likes
VerlzonCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 1

In attempt to make a work-around for this issue I went into hmailserver, then to SMTP - Delivery of email,
I set SMTP relayer to smtp.gmail.com, enabled IMAP and Pop in my google account.

I put in port 587 for remote TCP/IP port

Server requires Authentication, put in my gmail address as username and password then said use SSL

but I get the error 

SSL handshake with client failed. Error code: 1, Message: asio.ssl error, remote ip: 74.125.155.109

and without SSL it says it requires SSL. Is there any way around this at all? I have never had issues with verizon blocking outbound port 25 in over 10 years, and now they suddenly start blocking it so I do not know a work around.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If you're using Gmail's outbound server, it requires the following settings.

Server: smtp.gmail.com

Port: 465

Server Requires Authentication: Yes (This will be your Gmail username and password.)

Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): Yes

Additional configuration instructions can be found on Gmail's website here.

Hope this helps!

VerlzonCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, this did not help. I required an SSL certificate, which I created with OpenSSL and after I  made the certificates and went to Advanced->SSL Certificates, then added  imap.mydomain.test.crt and imap.mydomain.test.key I get the error

SSL Handshake with client failed. error code: 1, Message: asio.ssl error, ..

0 Likes
VerlzonCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 1

actually it did work, I missed the port number you told me to use (I was using 587) for some reason it had to use 465

Thanks

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

587 is the default "other" SMTP port. Not all providers use it though. Since Verizon is only blocking 25 for SMTP, this means the alternate settings for most providers can still be used. Glad you got it working!

0 Likes