Re: Cannot connect to Google or other Google products but can ping to the sites
robbychen
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I'm in MD.

Yes, I'm sure that it's affecting other sites, including this forum 😞

By the way, an easier and faster way to solve this issue, at least temporarily,  is to do a DHCP release instead of waiting to reboot the router. I also leave the router admin page containing the release button open in another window (not another tab) for easier access/operation.

WellConnected
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been having the same issue, and I'm in Virginia.  It's certainly something on Verizon's end.  Like the OP said, rebooting Verizon's router temporarily solves the issue.

Re: intermittent connectivity issues
Mulholland
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here in virginia.  Nothing google works consistently.  Very intermittent for several days now.  YouTube, gmail, google.com, google home/minis, and verizon.com as well.  Please help us fix this!

Manipul2020
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just spent an hour on the phone with Verizon after several support chats and days of checking things on my local network. The only thing they're willing to do now is send out a tech to satisfy their internal processes and essentially waste my time to pinpoint an issue much higher up in the network. Really unacceptable. 

I have a request in to speak to someone higher up and who presumably works on the network team and not the customer support team to get to the bottom of it. It's crazy that Verizon thinks it's acceptable for customers to jump through hoops so that an issue with their network, which is affecting people up and down the east coast, can be pinpointed. It's also equally astounding that a legitimate network issue takes this much effort to address and that no Verizon representatives on the forums have acknowledged this. 

Manipul2020
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please keep this thread up to date on what you're all seeing. 

This issue has persisted for me and is now affecting the STBs in the home by not providing internet for things like the channel guide info. Are you all still have the same problems?

0 Likes
robbychen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, still is. I think the issue is with Verizon DNS Server. Because whatever I go to a AJAX-heavy site, such as logging into my healthcare account, it displays DNS-related error and would not connect to the site until I do a DHCP release or rebooting the router. And as mentioned before, changing the DNS server in the router's admin doesn't solve anything. 

I noticed on this forum as well. As I write this, it is displaying "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested." error message. It means that I have disconnected to this site, again 😞

JC_HOMEGUEST
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agreed, this is annoying and since it seems to affect only google services...I am unable to reliably connect to my work, personal and/or school gmail accounts.

NOTE:- switching the DNS server to Google's or Cloudfare's doesn't fare well either

Always, seems to be one problem or the other with Verizon Fios; hopefully this doesn't leak into VZW now that it's been fully acquired from Vodafone...just like Microsoft ruins everything it gets its hands on (i.e skype)!

0 Likes
richarch
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are also seeing this problem in Northern Virginia.

FiOS network appears to be corrupting DNS replies in transit.

Started with accounts.google.com, then www.google.com, and at times has included Apple Music servers and Facebook.com

When doing an DNS lookup, the client either receives a "not found" error or a corrupt reply with an invalid alphanumeric string (AGL310TA or some such) in place of the IP address.

This occurs on all DNS providers I've tried, Google, CloudFlare, and Verizon's internal servers. The errors are NOT present on cellular networks or when connected out to VPN servers.

This points the finger firmly at the Verizon network's handling of (and corruption of) DNS reply packets.

Manipul2020
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you all using Home Network Protection? If so, try and disable it and see if that fixes the issue. After yet another discussion with a support rep we tried it and it's working for now. I will report back on whether or not it stays that way.

If you need help disabling Home Network Protection just let me know. 

biotechCowboy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem in Maryland.  

I cannot connect to google.com using my browser..  but, I can reach all other sites that I try.

I can VPN into my work network; then I can reach google.com using the same browser.computer ... going out over the same router ... to my work network where the google.com is correctly routed.

I reset my Verizon router.  This solved the problem.  Now, I CAN connect to google.com using my browser.

Next time that this happens, I will try to ping google.com before resetting the router.

Hope this helps.  It seems to be something in my router that was solved by turning it on and off (resetting).