Cannot connect to Google or other Google products but can ping to the sites

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: No connection for some sites

Message 41 of 45
(266 Views)

The only way I could do it was using the MyFios App from my iPhone.  

From inside the app:

Tap 'Internet' > 'Devices and Parental Controls' > 'HomeNetworkProtection'

Toggle to the off position.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cannot connect to Google or other Google products but can ping to the sites

Message 42 of 45
(235 Views)

I use the Home Network Protection to regulate my children's activities....so disabling it as a work around is unacceptable. As mush money as these people are charging, the they should be held accountable to having their engineers resolve the problem and not offer a band-aid. 

Fix it!

Currently using a VPN via my Norton Life lock to access G-Mail, Google suite of sites...

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 43 of 45
(215 Views)

Solved would indicate this has been fixed and it has not.

The workaround does work, but now I have to physically monitor my child's internet activities.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 44 of 45
(207 Views)

#1 Here is my two cents.

@sdotsamuel wrote:

but now I have to physically monitor my child's internet activities.

From DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband and Networking -> Networking -> Router that logs all traffic? The post by pawpaw (user #1002229) on 2020-Jul-13 at 10:23 am.

Direct link to their post https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32811730- in that thread.

Be a good parent, talk to your kids, have high expectations, be an example, and then trust them. Don't be Big Brother.

and not only I am in agreement with that, so is Anav (#431519)

This~~
Is the right answer, be engaged with your kids and get them involved in activities. Monitoring kids is not parenting, educating them is....

#2 And here is another two cents from me.

Depending on their resource(s) they can bypass that router completely.

Examples include but limited to:

With my smart cell phone I do not have to use the Wi-Fi access that I am provided by my parents or even work for that matter.

Maybe using a VPN if I was behind such a router with those controls, I could bypass those controls.

While not true during this issue of Covid-19, if I get someone else's Internet Access (think like Friend or Public Library) I could bypass those controls.

[EDIT #1] As suspected. From this very thread, post # 40

My only workaround was to use a client side VPN. No issues using this VPN other than I needed to install it on all the clients in the house since the G1100 does not allow a VPN to be installed on the router.

[EDIT #2] REF https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/essentials/home-network-protection

to where they ask and provide the answer to the question of What does Home Network Protection protect against? 

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 45 of 45
(167 Views)

I had this exact problem - if I turned off home network protection I could access google.com, but if home network protection was on I could not.  So I went into home network protection and, for every category of parental control I had created (even a parental control with no blocking for me) I listed google.com as an allowable exception.  After that it has been working fine (for now).

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.