Cannot connect to Netgear vpn over Fios
lisalisa

I have to connect to my work VPN to be able to work at home.  I am using Greenbow VPN client.  It is a netgear fvs318 vpn.  It worked great with no issues over comcast.  However, since we got Fios - no deal.  I have changed the home network address pool to be sure it is different.  I have set up port forwarding for the vpn.  I set the firewall on low to see if that helped... NOTHING!

(Another co-worker also has Fios and cannot get it to work.)

It still works fine from coffee shops etc... just not at home with the Fios.

I saw some posts that people with Cisco changed over to ethernet cable from coax.  Would this be something I need to try in this situation?  I find it hard to believe that would work.

I tried calling customer service and they pretty much hang up as soon as I mention VPN.  I am just about ready to go back to comcast because I need to be able to work from home!  I am very frustrated.  Can anyone help?

By the way-  I use the actiontec router and so does my co-worker.

Thanks in advance!   : )

0 Likes
Re: Cannot connect to Netgear vpn over Fios
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried making the PC you want to connect the "DMZ" host in the router?   This is not a desirable long term configuration, but if it works, it explains some what might be going on.   I suspect the route may not be handling IPSEC over NAT passthru properly.   If that works, post back.

The reason some may have had success using an "ethernet" connection instead of coax is that they may have also moved to using their own router at the same time (or in parallel to the Actiontec).   If the issue is indeed an IPSEC passthru issue, that would certainly get around the problem by creating a different traffic path.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

There have been some that have had VPN issues with moca. Dont know why, but in most cases switching to ethernet (even using the exact same router) has fixed the issue. It cant hurt to try. If you can run your own ethernet cable. Then just call tech support and have it switched. If you cant do it on your own they will come out and do it for you but will likely charge you to do it.

MrTantrum
Enthusiast - Level 3

This does not address your exact issue, but I have successfully used both Cisco and SonicWall VPN software and hardware clients over my FiOS connection.  However, I have always had CAT5 connectivity from my router to the the exterior box and not Coax.

0 Likes
Chrisdu
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you tried to by-pass the verizon router?  I have the same issue and use my own router as a primary then it should be ok.

1) connect main ethternet cable, from the wall provide by verizon, to your WAN port on your router

2) connect your WAN port from verizon to LAN port on your router

3) connect coax cable to your verizon router as usual.

Hope this would help.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

He's on a MoCA interfaced router for the WAN, not ethernet.  He can't bypass the ActionTec without having verizon reconfigure his connection to be ethernet.

I'm still interested in hearing the results of testing with the PC in DMZ mode.