Cannot disconnect FiOS battery
goldy1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

My FiOS battery (which I've never used - no power outages in NYC) has been beeping all day every 15 minutes. I happened to be having an open house and really did not appreciate it..We couldn't even figure out where it was coming from. We spent a couple of hours trying to figure it out, it was maddening. Now we figured it out, and want to take the battery out since we will never need it. We read we can simply unplug the battery and remove it, and then press the reset/silence button for at least 5 seconds and the beeping will stop. However, we cannot unplug the battery jack. We have squeezed and pulled and tried pliers too, and it just won't come out. How do we get it out? Yes, we've watched all the videos, they are of no help. Very frustrating day.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot disconnect FiOS battery
goldy1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I knocked off one of the leads from the battery, I guess I will knock off the other one too. It seems like a strange solution. Because if I ever wanted to replace the battery at some point, I'm not sure I can now. Which is probably OK, I am just finding this whole situation strange.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If you can not unplug the battery then take the blunt end of a screwdriver and gently tap the leads off of each terminal on the battery itself.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
When you hold the alarm silence button that tests the entire unit. That's not your goal. Press it and let it go mashes it silence the Afghan for 24 hour periods.

To disconnect the battery let us know if your dog this.

Open the compartment.
With the bock battery exposed you should see a red clip on the battery that had a black and red wire.

That black and red write us only a few inches before it connects to the unit itself.

I dint disconnect it at the red clip. I follow this wires to the other end where they plug in to the unit.

There i find a white terminal plug.

All you have to do is grab that terminal plug and Wiggle it back and forth while pulling it towards you and it pulls right out.

Once that plug is disconnected you are done. It's disconnected

You don't have to physically remove the battery. Battery.

But only newer units wont sound an alarm like that. Some older units you HAVE to actually replace the battery.

The batterys ate are inexpensive if you're a frugal shopper. Amazon has them the cheapest. 20 dollars roughly.

Where you looking at the video that Verizon me?

Www.verizon.com/quickguides ?
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

**Edit.

Sorry, wrote a lot of the above from my cell phone and auto correct made most of that pretty unintelligible, and the website won't let me edit that for some reason.

here is the spell checked version  😛

@Hubrisnxs wrote:
When you hold the alarm silence button that resets the entire unit. That's not your goal.
Press it and let it go makes it silence the battery for 24 hour periods.

To disconnect the battery let us know if your doing this.

Open the compartment.  With the black battery exposed you should see a red clip on the battery that has a black and red wire.  Follow that black/red wire to the other end where it plugs into the compartment.  It's only a few inches and one end connects to the battery, and the other end goes inside the unit.

I personally don't disconnect it at the red clip. I follow these wires to the other end where they plug in to the unit and  I disconnect it from there. There I find a white terminal plug.

All you have to do is grab that terminal plug and Wiggle it back and forth while pulling it towards you and it pulls right out.

Once that plug is disconnected you are done. It's disconnected  You don't have to physically remove the battery. 

From my experience, Only newer units can silence the alarm like this. Older units still see the battery missing and warn you. on these units you HAVE to actually replace the battery.

The batterys are inexpensive if you're a frugal shopper. Amazon has them the cheapest. 20 dollars roughly.

Where you looking at the video that Verizon made?

Www.verizon.com/quickguides ?
0 Likes
goldy1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is what I am trying to do. The white plug. No amount of wiggling is making it come out. My husband and I have both tugged on it for long periods of time. Wiggled, squeezed, even tried pliers. It doesn't budge.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you are doing that and taking the battery physically out while trying doesn't help, then Verizon will need to come in and do that,  I can't see them charging you for that.

0 Likes
goldy1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I knocked off one of the leads from the battery, I guess I will knock off the other one too. It seems like a strange solution. Because if I ever wanted to replace the battery at some point, I'm not sure I can now. Which is probably OK, I am just finding this whole situation strange.

0 Likes
Bonasa

I ran into the exact same problem:  I could not unplug the cord. Upon closer inspection, I found there is a plastic hook at the end of a cantilever that holds the plug in place. Unfortunately, the housing of the Motorola Vios unit is cut too close to allow the cantilever to swing up and disengage the hook. I can't believe Motorola manufactured a box that will not allow maintenance--and that Verizon bought it and installed it. There is not room for the hook to be disengaged and allow the line to be unplugged.

ANYWAY, I ended up just leaving the plug in place and working the battery while it was still plugged in. I proceeded very carefully, as I'm not sure whether voltage can flow back to the battery while it is plugged in.

Verizin really out to retrofit this setup so no one gets hurt.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You are posting to a old post from 3+ years ago.

i am sure it was answered by now.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes