Cannot get DHCP Working -- *only* PPPoE works?
Rhys
Enthusiast - Level 1

All-

I had Verizon Internet provisioned over a year before the FIOS TV offering came about.  As such, I have a direct Ethernet line from my ONT to the house.  I have for a long time been running a Juniper W5GT device which has recently started having some issues, so I have temporarily swapped it out for a NetGear Router.  My previous configuration used PPPoE to obtain an IP address from Verizon and has been setup working as such for close to 4 years now. 

Now that I have swapped out devices, I find that I cannot get DHCP to provide me with an address.  I never tried DHCP on the Juniper device, and now that I try it on the NetGear, it is failing.  Switching it over to PPPoE causes everything to start working immediately.  This contradicts everything I have read online stating that Verizon had sunset PPPoE years ago, and now only DHCP works.

I have tried all of the cable modem tricks of yester year (unplugging the device from the ONT for several minutes, etc.) to no avail.  I've never really had to troubleshoot connectivity issues with FIOS before so I'm at a bit of a loss.  Based on initial online searches, it looks like I may have to wait several hours for the ARP cache to flush before I can connect?  Any advice that anyone could provide would be very much appreciated.  If it won't work with DHCP, I can deal with it, but I'd rather put PPPoE behind me if I can.

-Rhys

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot get DHCP Working -- *only* PPPoE works?
Justin46
Legend

I am currently provisioned with PPPoE, have been from the beginning with FiOS for almost 5 years.So wherever you read that Verizon had sunset PPPoE (meaning completely eliminating the use of PPPoE) is just flat wrong.

PPPoE was the way all FiOS connections were originally done way back in the 2004/2005 timeframe. Then Verizon changed to DHCP for all NEW installations, but kept us original installs on PPPoE.

As far as I know, there is no option or choice for an existing customer to switch from PPPoE to DHCP. However, you can call tech support and see if they can make the change for you, I doubt it but it can't hurt to ask (other than maybe waste some of your time). But I really have to ask, why do you want to change? I don't see where it really makes any difference, other than maybe an infinitesimal performance difference that you would never be able to see, but beyond that what? At some time in the future I imagine Verizon will want to transition us to DHCP, but when they do, they are going to need to coordinate carefully the change with each customer so that the definitions at both ends are changed at the same time.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Think You'll have to wait four or five hours till the system "forgets" your original mac address

or alternatively

Override the mac address on the netgear with the mac address of the original Juniper device.

Didn't Fios had ever supported using PPPoE.  You could enquire whether they might consider changing your setup to omit the horrendous feature.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I am currently provisioned with PPPoE, have been from the beginning with FiOS for almost 5 years.So wherever you read that Verizon had sunset PPPoE (meaning completely eliminating the use of PPPoE) is just flat wrong.

PPPoE was the way all FiOS connections were originally done way back in the 2004/2005 timeframe. Then Verizon changed to DHCP for all NEW installations, but kept us original installs on PPPoE.

As far as I know, there is no option or choice for an existing customer to switch from PPPoE to DHCP. However, you can call tech support and see if they can make the change for you, I doubt it but it can't hurt to ask (other than maybe waste some of your time). But I really have to ask, why do you want to change? I don't see where it really makes any difference, other than maybe an infinitesimal performance difference that you would never be able to see, but beyond that what? At some time in the future I imagine Verizon will want to transition us to DHCP, but when they do, they are going to need to coordinate carefully the change with each customer so that the definitions at both ends are changed at the same time.

Keller, TX 76248

abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry, but the only option that you have is to use a router which supports PPPoE.

There is no way to switch PPPoE to DHCP for only one customer. It is the way how the GWR [Verizon router] givessignal/ip address to everyone in your area. Verizon may decide in the future to change that.

0 Likes
extremesis

any new customers are provisioned as DHCP, but any old pppoe connections continue to be pppoe.  In some cases either type of method works, but if dhcp does not work for you the only way to change over would be to cancel and reorder internet.  New orders are automatically set up as dhcp, but there is no way to request a migration from pppoe to dhcp.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Justin wrote:

Keller, TX 76248

DITTO on what Justin said. I have been PPPOE from the start. My linux box router even logs into PPPOE and gets an address. verizonfios verizonfios has always worked for me. If you are trying to run a linux box as a router or main connection, most if not all distributions support dial up or pppoe. I have run three different distributions and now use IP Cop.

Rhys
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the responses guys! 

I was just hoping to avoid having to be bound to the requirement of using PPPoE as the feature seems to be less common these days in new equipment then the always available DHCP option.  I'll keep slumming away with PPPoE, although, on the brightside, I don't have to deal with all of the MOCA nonsense for my ONT to router connection.

-Rhys

0 Likes