Cannot get onto internet after bringing laptop out of hibernation.
purcy
We just got our FIOS installed on wednesday and this seems to be a re-occuring issue. On my husband's laptop it seems when we bring it out of hibernation, we cannot get on the internet (using any browser) The wireless radio icon on the toolbar shows connected and an excellent signal but when you open up a browser the page stays blank until you finally get a message that it could not connect to the internet, check you settings. Only after rebooting the computer can we successfully go onto the internet. We always have used hibernation on both of our laptops and with the Verizon DSL, this never affected the laptop this way. Is there something we are doing wrong?  I have not tried using standby to see if this also occurs, but we prefer hibernation. I really don't want to have to power down our laptops each night. any suggestions??
Message Edited by purcy on 04-24-2009 09:51 PM
0 Likes
Re: Cannot get onto internet after bringing laptop out of hibernation.
Justin46
Legend

I never experience that so I can't tell you what might be wrong, I use hibernation all the time with my Toshiba laptop. But I suspect that you can get the connection back without rebooting the laptop, just open the wireless connection dialog and choose either the option to reconnect or disable and then re-enable the wireless connection (if one doesn't work, try the other).

I realize that you did not have this problem with DSL, but have you checked to see if there is a newer level of the drivers for your wireless adpater in the laptop? Sometimes just getting the latest software will fix problems that just don't seem to make sense. Just a thought...

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
purcy

Hello Justin, thank you so much for your suggestions. Yes, I have the most recent driver for his wireless network adapter, and I also tried earlier the disconnecting and reconnecting of the radio. I use a Belkin Radio Utility on the toolbar instead of windows to manage the wireless connection and it is pretty handy. Nothing worked. Today though I went into the Network Connections and into the properties of the Wireless Connection. I clicked on Configure for the network adapter and there is a Power Management tab there, it was checked to allow Windows to shut off the network adapter to conserve energy. Now I am not sure when it would shut it off, if it would only be during sleep or hibernation. But I unchecked this box and clicked Save and rebooted the laptop. I have since woken up the laptop from hibernation 4 times and each time it hopped right onto the network. I am keeping my fingers crossed that that solved it.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Well shoot, I should have suggested checking that, I seem to remember someone on some forum having reported that setting causing a wakeup problem.Sorry...

Hope it continues to work.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes