Cannot print from wireless laptop since router change to Verizon
ShariL

HI, I have been going around and around trying to get this straight. I have recently gotten Verizon Fios highspeed internet with a Actiontec wireless router/modem. I have a desktop and a wireless laptop. I have no problems getting on the internet,,,but I can no longer print to my printer from my laptop. I have a Brother HL-2700CN. Before Verizon, I was using a Lynksys wireless router and I could print. I can print from my desktop which is wired connected to the printer. I have been on the phone with Brother,,,they tell me it is a  router problem,,,,I was on the phone today with Verizon and they tell me it is a printer problem. Can anyone give me any direction to get this figured out

Couple questions,,,,do I need to reset the router once I connected the printer to it?. How do I do it, if needed. Also I was told to find out if my printer supported the router,,,

Thanks for any help

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot print from wireless laptop since router change to Verizon
prisaz
Legend

You said you could print to the printer when it is connected to the wired PC. Is this a network printer, and if so can you print to it from the wired computer when the printer is connected to the network and not directly to the PC? It may be your new router uses a different IP address range then your old router. A way to check is to go to a command prompt and execute the command ipconfig. This will tell you the address asigned to your PC. The Actiontec uses 192.168.0.x and your older linksys may use 192.168.1.x range. You may need to change the IP address on your printer. Then you may also need to reconfigure your printer drivers to use this new network address.

To answer you question about rebooting your router once the printer is connected to it. You should not need to reboot the router, but power off and on your printer so it can go out and ask for a new address if you have not set a fixed address in the printer. If you are not setting a fixed address in the printer, there is a chance the printer drivers on your PCs could lose the printer next time the power is cycled and an address is reasigned to the printer. Some printer drivers will go out and search the network for the printer and this could be a problem if your printer IP address is not fixed.

Message Edited by prisaz on 02-27-2009 05:08 PM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 Is your laptop connected by Wire or Wireless to the network?

#2 Did you install any software since going to FIOS? For example, you used the FIOS CD and installed their software firewall (and maybe other stuff)...
0 Likes
ShariL

It is connected wireless....and I did not download anything from Verizon. When the tech was here, he told me how to set up the wireless network for my laptop,,,nothing was ever said about downloading anything. Even when I was on the phone with Verizon for over an hour today nothing was mentioned.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

You said you could print to the printer when it is connected to the wired PC. Is this a network printer, and if so can you print to it from the wired computer when the printer is connected to the network and not directly to the PC? It may be your new router uses a different IP address range then your old router. A way to check is to go to a command prompt and execute the command ipconfig. This will tell you the address asigned to your PC. The Actiontec uses 192.168.0.x and your older linksys may use 192.168.1.x range. You may need to change the IP address on your printer. Then you may also need to reconfigure your printer drivers to use this new network address.

To answer you question about rebooting your router once the printer is connected to it. You should not need to reboot the router, but power off and on your printer so it can go out and ask for a new address if you have not set a fixed address in the printer. If you are not setting a fixed address in the printer, there is a chance the printer drivers on your PCs could lose the printer next time the power is cycled and an address is reasigned to the printer. Some printer drivers will go out and search the network for the printer and this could be a problem if your printer IP address is not fixed.

Message Edited by prisaz on 02-27-2009 05:08 PM
0 Likes
ShariL
It worked!!!! Thank you so much,,,,I wish I would have gotten on her first! Yesterday when I was on the phone with Brother,,,,we checked the IP address and it was the same,,,,,I am not sure what happened,,,but when I changed it on the printer,,,,it works...thank you so much for your help!
0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner
Moved to create a new thread
0 Likes