Canon MX452 won't connect to FIOS G1100 Router
VAcat7
Enthusiast - Level 2

About a week ago, Verizon FIOS did an update to our FIOS system.  When that happened our 2G connection disappeared and only the 5G connection was left.  We had to reconnect all of our computers, televisions, iphones, etc.  Everything worked except for the Canon MX452 printer.  When I got the FIOS G1100 router about 2 years ago, the only problem with the printer is that I had to keep turning it off and then turning it on for the wireless connection to stay connected to print.  Now, it can't even find my 5G connection.  I even did a hard reset of the printer, deleted the printer from my computer and tried to do a fresh restart as if the printer was new.  I plugged in a USB cable to set it up and it still can't find the 5G connection even though the router literally sits right next to the printer.  All the neighbors wifi shows up, but not mine.  The Wifi is on and working, so why can't it find it?  Any help?  Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Canon MX452 won't connect to FIOS G1100 Router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wireless printers typically work in the 2.4 GHz range. I would give the router a hard reset for 15 seconds. 
Also see if disabling SON helps by logging into router at myfiosgateway.com and go to Wireless Settings/Advanced Security Settings/ Other Advanced Wireless Options/Self-Organizing Network Enabled and set to Off

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wireless printers typically work in the 2.4 GHz range. I would give the router a hard reset for 15 seconds. 
Also see if disabling SON helps by logging into router at myfiosgateway.com and go to Wireless Settings/Advanced Security Settings/ Other Advanced Wireless Options/Self-Organizing Network Enabled and set to Off

VAcat7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks I'll try disabling SON.  So I've been told that Verizon's new system is supposed to toggle between 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz (might have misunderstood their email), but we only log in through the 5 GHz now.  Are there any printers which work on the 5 GHz?

VAcat7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  I didn't realize printers can't connect on 5GHz.  Verizon had to reset my router externally to get the 2.4 GHz to show back up.  The printer is working again.

Appreciate it.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VAcat7 wrote:

Thanks I'll try disabling SON.  So I've been told that Verizon's new system is supposed to toggle between 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz (might have misunderstood their email), but we only log in through the 5 GHz now.  Are there any printers which work on the 5 GHz?

No printers that I know of work on 5 GHz. What SON does is merge both Fios-XXXXX and Fios-XXXXX-5G into one SSID. You should only see Fios-XXXXX and the SON feature is supposed to move clients between 2.4 and 5 GHz based on their signal strength. Some devices do get confused and look like they are connected but actually are not. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VAcat7 wrote:

Thank you.  I didn't realize printers can't connect on 5GHz.  Verizon had to reset my router externally to get the 2.4 GHz to show back up.  The printer is working again.

Appreciate it.

No problem. If you ever have to reset it again there is a red reset button on the back. Just hold it down for 15 seconds with a pencil.