Switch Account

Cant ping/use printer from laptop on 5 GHz network

Cant ping/use printer from laptop on 5 GHz network

Contributor
Contributor
Message 1 of 5
(729 Views)

When I connect to the FIOS 5 GHz SSID on my macbook, I can no longer print or even ping my printer which is on a static IP.  The printer is on the 2.4 GHz band.   If I reconnect the laptop using the 2.4 GHz network, then it works as expected.  

Any idea?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 5
(717 Views)

@Teamlean wrote:

When I connect to the FIOS 5 GHz SSID on my macbook, I can no longer print or even ping my printer which is on a static IP.  The printer is on the 2.4 GHz band.   If I reconnect the laptop using the 2.4 GHz network, then it works as expected.  

Any idea?

Simple answer. You have to be on the band (network) same as what your device is using. The printer may not be capable of using the 5 Ghz band. So it must use the 2.4 Ghz.

you could try running the printer setup utility and select the higher 5 Ghz that is showing under your SSID if available. Then make sure after testing that your MacBook is using the proper band.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 3 of 5
(661 Views)

What are the IPS of the two devices?

If all on the same subnet, should work.

What router are you using?

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 4 of 5
(588 Views)

I'm connecting to the wireless printer via IP, not directly so it shouldnt matter which band I'm on.  

I use the standard fios quantum gateway router.  So it's the same subnet. 

But like I said, if the laptop is on the same IPS (the 2.4 GHz one) as the printer, I can ping the pritner's static IP.   If I log the laptop into the 5 GHz IPS, I can no longer ping the priter IP

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 5 of 5
(577 Views)

See my previous reply

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.