Cant ping/use printer from laptop on 5 GHz network
Teamlean

When I connect to the FIOS 5 GHz SSID on my macbook, I can no longer print or even ping my printer which is on a static IP.  The printer is on the 2.4 GHz band.   If I reconnect the laptop using the 2.4 GHz network, then it works as expected.  

Any idea?

0 Likes
Re: Cant ping/use printer from laptop on 5 GHz network
jonjones1
Legend

@Teamlean wrote:

When I connect to the FIOS 5 GHz SSID on my macbook, I can no longer print or even ping my printer which is on a static IP.  The printer is on the 2.4 GHz band.   If I reconnect the laptop using the 2.4 GHz network, then it works as expected.  

Any idea?

Simple answer. You have to be on the band (network) same as what your device is using. The printer may not be capable of using the 5 Ghz band. So it must use the 2.4 Ghz.

you could try running the printer setup utility and select the higher 5 Ghz that is showing under your SSID if available. Then make sure after testing that your MacBook is using the proper band.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are the IPS of the two devices?

If all on the same subnet, should work.

What router are you using?

0 Likes
Teamlean

I'm connecting to the wireless printer via IP, not directly so it shouldnt matter which band I'm on.  

I use the standard fios quantum gateway router.  So it's the same subnet. 

But like I said, if the laptop is on the same IPS (the 2.4 GHz one) as the printer, I can ping the pritner's static IP.   If I log the laptop into the 5 GHz IPS, I can no longer ping the priter IP

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

See my previous reply

0 Likes