Certain websites not accessible since Wednesday in multiple Fios households.
sisnerafa1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since December 4th in the PM certain websites and servers aren't able to be accessed on Fios in the northern Philadelphia suburban region. I noticed on my home connection first and verified by going to a few other people's houses with Fios that it was a problem on Fios' end. I can connect on my Sprint data connection and on Comcast connections. The problem is on wired and wireless connections through the Fios Actiontech router. I've reset the router, reset the computers, flushed the DNS cache, changed to use Google's DNS servers on the router and the computers, etc. and repeated a bunch of times. Pinging the unconnectable sites always times out. Doing a trace route does the same after hop 3. I'm pretty sure at this point that it's nothing on my end. Fios users in other parts of the country are able to view the sites and connect to the servers fine. I changed nothing since the problem started. Below are my results for one of the sites with issues.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\wexxxx>ping heynowlife.org

Pinging heynowlife.org [46.17.103.120] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 46.17.103.120:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\wexxxx>tracert heynowlife.org

Tracing route to heynowlife.org [46.17.103.120]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
  2     6 ms    12 ms     6 ms  L100.PHLAPA-VFTTP-100.verizon-gni.net [98.114.29
.1]
  3    11 ms    10 ms    11 ms  G0-6-0-0.PHLAPA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
37.140]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

0 Likes
Re: Certain websites not accessible since Wednesday in multiple Fios households.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

One of the many possbile answer(s) to what is going on..

1. Verizon assigns IP addresses dynamically. It's an automatic process, no one is manually handing out IPs.

2. The issue is not with the IP addresses that Verizon assigns, but with the blacklists not updating the IP addresses when they are changed. Verizon can't change third party sites' lists; it is up to the listing site to keep their filters updated

0 Likes
Re: Certain websites not accessible since Wednesday in multiple Fios households.
sisnerafa1
Enthusiast - Level 2

This happened with more than one site as well as not being able to connect to some programs' update servers at the same time. Don't think it's the sites' problem.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I'm going to post Justin's reply from this thread, as it sounds like this might be a BOGON filter issue.

Short answer: Get a new IP address, and the issue will probably clear up.

@Justin wrote:

If you Google "bogon filter" you will find a Wikipedia article that talks about this problem, plus of course plenty of other links to articles, etc. Basically what has happened is that many "bad guys" have used IP addresses in the past for nefarious uses, so to protect themselves many websites use a "bogon filter" to block those addresses. But IP addresses that were once used for bad things in the past can be used for good ones now; as ISPs expand their networks they acquire blocks of IP addresses and start using them for legitimate purposes. But it is up to each website to manage their own bogon filters, and many don't keep them up to date very well.

For you, probably you recently got a new IP address (this happens regularly for people who do not pay for and have static IP addresses) and the new address was on a bogon filter list for those sites, and still is. The only way to get your current IP address removed from the list is to contact the websites, or just wait, eventually they will probably update their filter and then you will be able to access the sites.

Another option for you is to record your IP address right now, then turn off your router overnight, turn it on tomorrow and see what IP address you get. If it is on another block of IP addresses the odds are good that you will then be able to reach the sites just fine.

Oh, and I too can get to those websites just fine, I am also a FiOS user.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
sisnerafa1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did this today while at work and it didn't help. I can try it again over night, but I have a feeling it won't work still because the same sites are not working at another house with Fios about 5 miles away. Any other possibilities? I still think it's on Verizon's end since I don't seem to get past their regional servers when I do  trace route.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

A few things:

1) I can get to heynowlife.org without any problems, on FiOS. My IP address is 173.74.7.1xx (last two digits not shown).

2) The way you describe the problem it really does fit the IP address change and bogon filter settings scenario.

3) Verizon is in the process of distributing a new level of the software in the Actiontec routers. Assuming that you have an Actiontec router, it is likely that your router was rebooted when that new software was installed, and you got a new IP address that is left in some filters in routers somewhere between you and heynowlife.org. The new software level is 40.21.10.2, you can check to see if that is what you have. Mine was installed on my router in early November I think (at least it has been up for 33+ days, and I have not manually rebooted the router in months).

4) It is likely that many, maybe all, of the FiOS customers in your area got the new software level in the router the same night, and all got new IP addresses, and those IP addresses were all in the same range (at least some of them, check with others to compare with yours).

5) Tracert is not really a good tool to identify where something in the network is blocked or lost. Many servers are set to ignore those kinds of requests.

6) What I suggest you do is check to see what your IP address is now, then turn off the router and wait 10 to 30 minutes or more, restart the router and check the IP address to make sure it is different (and check access to heynowlife.org). If you still have problems, repeat, and keep repeating until you get an IP address way different from what you have now.

I realize that the above seems time intensive and kind of silly, but if it really is your IP address being blocked, eventually you should get one that is not blocked. Or you can just wait, eventually the filters will get updated to remove the block you are on (but that can take days, weeks, even months I guess).

Sorry, but this is the only suggestion I can make. I hope you get past this problem.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Considering the trace fails at a Verizon hop, Verizon will need to check their network. Bad routing table, bad link, bad upstream peering, or bad return path causing problems.

0 Likes