Challenges Installing ONT In an Apartment?
NewVZCustomerNY
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in a cooperative apartment building in NY.  The previous residents of my unit had Fios.  The ONT was installed in the coat closet and the setup was ATROCIOUS.  They had a bundle of cables running out of the closet through a hole and then across the ceiling and around the entry cutout of the wall into the living room.  It was really bad.  I don't remember what the cables were exactly, but based on what I'm reading about the Verizon ONT setup, you need to run a power cable to it, a phone line, a coax cable for each STB you have, and a coax/ethernet cable to your router.  Gladly, the previous residents got rid of the cabling when they moved out and I ended up going with Cablevision as my provider (they were less expensive at the time).

Now the tables have turned, Cablevision prices have increased and I'm sick of the annual song and dance of threatening to cancel/downgrade service every year when the "promotional" price expires - and Verizon now offers double the bandwidth for less $, plus perks.

So I want Fios.  But I'm not sure how I can make it work without the terrible cabling running across my living room wall.  The solution I was thinking of would be to have the ONT hidden within my TV stand, where my cable modem currently is.  This would be advantageous because it wouldn't even need to be 'installed'; it could just lay on it's back, it would be very close to my router and electrical outlet/surge protector which means I would only have to run one tiny fiber cable to it.   I'm not sure if this will be possible because the ONT's I've seen are obnoxiously HUGE.  I still have the old ONT in my closet and it's GIGANTIC.  I read somewhere that a much smaller ONT exists - I'm wondering if that would be a good option since I don't need a phone line (I think the battery backup is for the phone) or even coax connections since I don't plan on having STB's.  I really just need the equivalent to a cable modem that can live next to my router in my living room with a single ethernet cable to my router - from there all my devices are connected wirelessly.

I'm really hoping VZ has figured out an elegant solution for this scenario - there are usually no electrical outlets in apartment closets and hence you need to run power cables (and others) through the walls.  Has anyone else had this challenge?  I found a video on the Fios website explaining what the ONT is - and they actually removed the ONT part of the unit from the huge enclosure; it looks just like a normal sized modem!  That's exactly what I need!

0 Likes
Re: Challenges Installing ONT In an Apartment?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon now has desktop size ONTs and clear fiber they can run in apartments. That would be the easiest way to go. Ask your technician when they get there. 

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check out this site and its links...might also answer some of your other concerns.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/getting-started/tech-install

mwdenio

That link no longer exists.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes