Change IP Address?
markmark23

Does anyone know how to change the ip address?  I know that it changes on its own sometimes, but what if you want to force it to change?

Doe anyone know how to change it to a specific ip address?

I am referring to the ip address that the world sees you as. (not the 192.168....)

0 Likes
Re: Change IP Address?
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

The public IP address is dynamically assigned by Verizon.  The only way to change it is to call support and ask them to release your address.  But there is no chance you will get a new address.  Other folks on here have indicated you can release the address and then request a new address.  Then again no chance you will get a new address, just a renewal.

Why do you want a new IP address anyway? 

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
Probably the easiest way is to call in and ask them to break your lease, then leave your router unplugged for the night before it obtains a new (or possible the same) one.
0 Likes
markmark23

thanks.  I meant more like change the ip address on your own whenever you want.

when you go into the advanced settings in 192.168.1.1 you see many options to obtain a new ip address, and setup a new ip address.

However, nothing I do seems to work in there.

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1
Are you trying to change the public address or the private (192.168.1.x) address?  Like I said when you release and renew the address it will generally give the old one back unless someone else requested an address and the DHCP server gave that one away..  One would have to wait probably a 24 hour period to get a different address. 
0 Likes
markmark23

i am trying to change the public address.  there has to be a way.  does anyone else know the solution?

thanks

0 Likes
spacedebrisR
Contributor - Level 1

If you are wanting to change the public IP address on the router and get a new. Sometimes you have to call tech support and have them break the lease from their end because the system will hold onto the IP.  But most of the time you can do it yourself.

If you have the Actiontec Router

1. log into the router

2. go to "My network"

3. Click on "network connections" on the left hand side

4. Click on "broadband connecion" 

a. Ethernet if you have ethernet internet

b. coax if you have coax internet

5. Click on "settings"

6. find "DHCP LEASE" and click release, then renew

7. Enjoy new IP address

****If it comes back and gives you the same IP< then you will need to contact tech support to release from their side. Or if you leave the router unplugged (or powered off) for more than 2 hours it will also try releasing that way also.

Message Edited by spacedebris on 04-21-2009 11:05 AM
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

@markmark23 wrote:

thanks.  I meant more like change the ip address on your own whenever you want.

when you go into the advanced settings in 192.168.1.1 you see many options to obtain a new ip address, and setup a new ip address.

However, nothing I do seems to work in there.

Yeah, thats one of the reasons I mentioned leaving the router unplugged for the evening.  It gives you a better chance to pull a new ip from the pool and not receive the same one.  Unfortunately, there isn't a easy one button click way to do this.
0 Likes
markmark23

thanks.

I also notice on that page where "obtain ip address automatically" is selected, that it also has an option to enter an ipaddress.

does anyone know exactly how to do this?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@markmark23 wrote:

thanks.

I also notice on that page where "obtain ip address automatically" is selected, that it also has an option to enter an ipaddress.

does anyone know exactly how to do this?

First things first.

#1 If WAN IP in the router matches the WAN IP at another site that displays it ( for example http://www.portforward.com )

and you have NOT been assigned a static public IP then: I would not recommend changing that setting.

b) Let's say that the LAN IP of the router is 192.168.1.1, you have not been assigned a static public IP, the WAN IP in the router matches another site that displays it ( for example http://www.portforward.com ), and really you want to change the WAN IP the router - fine.

At that screen, select static.

Enter in the following settings:

IP Address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS #1: 192.168.2.1

Press ok or save settings.

Congrats you just set a WAN static IP, but there is only one problem: You are not going anywhere online! 😞

#2 If WAN IP in the router does not matches the WAN IP at another site that displays it ( for example http://www.portforward.com )

and the WAN IP in the router is one of these:

a) From 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

b) From 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255

c) From 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

before changing it, you must at least answer this question... What is the brand and model of the device connected to the WAN port of this router?

Message Edited by dslr595148 on 04-21-2009 03:40 PM
0 Likes