Change Westell FiOS router to use 10.x network at home?
jimjames99
Enthusiast - Level 1

My work uses the 192.168.x network in the office. When I vpn in to the office from my new FiOS Westell router over the wireless network, I get network collisions and the vpn is inoperable.

Does anyone know how I can change the Westell router to use a 10.0.2.x network at home instead? I tried changing the Advanced | IP Address Distribution menu (IP range and subnet mask) but I got the error: The DHCP IP address range does not conform to the connection IP address and the DHCP subnet mask.

Many thanks!!   Jim.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Change Westell FiOS router to use 10.x network at home?
prisaz
Legend

Go to My Network and select Network connections on the side bar.

Select Network (Home/Office). There you will see Settings.

On the settings page you will see the LAN address of the router and you can change it there to 10.0.2.x. or what ever you wish.

Once you change the lan address of the router it should restart and you will need to reestablish your connection to the router.

If your routers DHCP does not issue a dynamic address to your PC on the new network you may have to set your PC network connection to a static address to reconnect to the router. Once you reconnect to the router you can go to the address distribution menu and check the DHCP range being given out to your local network. Remember that all your equipment will need to be on the same 10.0.2.x network. So if you have set top boxes for TV you will need to reboot them so they can get a new address.

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

Go to My Network and select Network connections on the side bar.

Select Network (Home/Office). There you will see Settings.

On the settings page you will see the LAN address of the router and you can change it there to 10.0.2.x. or what ever you wish.

Once you change the lan address of the router it should restart and you will need to reestablish your connection to the router.

If your routers DHCP does not issue a dynamic address to your PC on the new network you may have to set your PC network connection to a static address to reconnect to the router. Once you reconnect to the router you can go to the address distribution menu and check the DHCP range being given out to your local network. Remember that all your equipment will need to be on the same 10.0.2.x network. So if you have set top boxes for TV you will need to reboot them so they can get a new address.

jimjames99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Outstanding! Thanks prisaz. Exactly the right instructions and super clear. Worked immediately. I rebooted the STB and it picked up the new DHCP lease immediately; all my laptops and desktops got renewed DHCP leases easily.

I thought I'd explored all the menu items on the Westall but obviously I missed the Settings menu for the Home/Office network.

Many thanks!!!    Jim.

0 Likes
zapart
Enthusiast - Level 2

Prisaz,

I've a related problem and am wondering if your recently posted solution is appropriate. 

Problem: download speed when using cisco vpn client on FIOS (actiontec router) is markedly reduced (~300kbs). Upload speed remains reasonable (1.6Mbs). My vpn client stable (i.e., never saw this problem using same client on verizon dsl). Without vpn, download speed is as advertised, 10Mbs. 

Question: how can I resolve dysfunctionally slow download (only) speed for vpn on fios?  

Thanks for any constructive suggestions! 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@zapart wrote:

Prisaz,

I've a related problem and am wondering if your recently posted solution is appropriate. 

Problem: download speed when using cisco vpn client on FIOS (actiontec router) is markedly reduced (~300kbs). Upload speed remains reasonable (1.6Mbs). My vpn client stable (i.e., never saw this problem using same client on verizon dsl). Without vpn, download speed is as advertised, 10Mbs. 

Question: how can I resolve dysfunctionally slow download (only) speed for vpn on fios?  

Thanks for any constructive suggestions! 

Don't know. I have had issues with in the past when you are connected with the VPN to another network, that network may become your internet source. So downloads from the internet would depend on the speed on your VPN server's connection to the internet. If you think this may be what is happening, do a tracert to the download source to see how you are hitting that source, and if it is going though the other network. If it is, you are at the mercy of the other network.

Try the network address change and see if it helps. If it does not you can always put it back.

Only other recomendation would be to try the Ethernet from the ONT to your router. This would require an Ethernet cable from your ONT to the router in addition to the COAX. Also a call to have Verizon switch the ports on the ONT. I like the Ethernet option because it leaves my options open.

Message Edited by prisaz on 04-06-2009 07:41 AM
Message Edited by prisaz on 04-06-2009 07:43 AM
0 Likes