Change of IP Address
PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last September I had a problem on a forum that blocked my IP address, so I used Anonymizer to gain access. Several months ago I noticed that the IP address assigned to my router apparently had changed, so I no longer needed Anonymizer. This might have been after an extended power outage in February, where I did a power-down reset of the interface box. But then recently that IP address was blocked and I needed to use Anonymizer again.

I am having problems with sending email while Anonymizer is connected, but I have a separate post about that issue. I wanted to know if it is possible to change the IP address at my site so I won't need to use the Anonymizer proxy server. Perhaps a power down shutdown and restart will cause a new address to be assigned, but I want to know the best way to do it.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Change of IP Address
PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used the first method and it worked perfectly. But it's good to know the alternate method as well. Thanks to all for providing two good solutions to this problem.

But I was wondering if it is possible that a new IP address may be the same as a previous one? And if so, I wonder if anyone has experienced a problem where a website may have blocked someone's IP address and then it was reassigned to someone else, who would then be blocked?

I don't fully understand IP addresses but I read that they have been pretty much all used up, and there is a new format with many more unique combinations, perhaps the MAC code?

I hope this info gets put in the FAQs!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the ip's have a 4  hour lease. so leave the modem and internet connection dead for 4 hours (no power no nothing) and it should reset to a new ip.

PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

That sounds like the way to do it. Smiley Happy But do I just turn off the wireless router or do I need to reset the interface box where the FIOS cable connects to everything else? I can just do this overnight but I'd rather keep my phone connection alive, although I can just rely on my cell phone or my business landline in case of emergency. I'll mark this as solved once I verify that it works.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

just the router

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

This doesnt always work, but it seems to work more often than not for me.

You can log into your router  (192.168.1.1  +  Username/password)

Go to "My Network"

Click "Network Connections" on left

Click on "Broadband Connection"  (ethernet or coax depending on your connection)

and then click on "settings" at the bottom.

In here there will be a release button and a renew button. If you release and then renew, you may pull a new IP.

This seems to work most days. I've even been able to change the IP several times in under 20 minutes. But some days it only continues to pull the same one over and over.  YMMV.

PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used the first method and it worked perfectly. But it's good to know the alternate method as well. Thanks to all for providing two good solutions to this problem.

But I was wondering if it is possible that a new IP address may be the same as a previous one? And if so, I wonder if anyone has experienced a problem where a website may have blocked someone's IP address and then it was reassigned to someone else, who would then be blocked?

I don't fully understand IP addresses but I read that they have been pretty much all used up, and there is a new format with many more unique combinations, perhaps the MAC code?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@PaulAndMuttley wrote:

Oh, absolutely! I do a lot of on-line gaming and apparently there is someone in my neck of the woods that keeps getting banned from sites. I will then end up with the banned IP. When this happens, I either have to contact the server admin and let them know that banning an IP does no good at all in today's arena. Everyone has dynamic IP's and as shown above it is simply too easy to just get a new one. Then hope they remove the ban. If not, then I just change the IP and go on my merry way.

This is also a good way of getting past the time limits that some sites place on you for the amount of time you spend streaming video. One site I stream from puts a 70minute time limit on streaming videos which gets you about half way through a movie before it quits. So I just keep my router window up, at the 60 minute mark, I pause the video, change my IP, and then finish the movie. They dont realize that banning or blocking an IP only blocks the novice. And not even them for long.

ron511
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am upgrading my Internet service from 15/15 to 50/50, and Verizon says they will ship me a newer router. Do you know if anything regarding IP addresses has changed since the original post?

Thanks

Ron

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You will need to release the IP address assigned to your old router before connecting the new one.  You can either disconnect your old router and wait 2 hours (or overnight if it's convenient), or you can use the steps outlined by spacedebris earlier in this thread to manually release your old IP.

If you use the manually method, click the DHCP "Release" button and then immediately power down the old router so it doesn't re-acquire a new IP address.

Once you've released your old IP you should be able to just plug in your new router and it should be assigned a new IP address.

0 Likes