Change printer address
FrankGC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I need help in changing my printer IP address to a higher number so it won't conflict with dynamic assignment of IP's

When I try to change it from 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.200, I get te error "Mac address already exists in Wireless broadband router data base.

I think I need to learn how to created a "pool" to reserve some high order IP's in the range of 192.168.1.175 up to

192.168.1.200. How is this done?

Then change the printer address by deleting the old one and adding the new one with the same

MAC -  6c c2 17 47 b6 6e and the new IP Is this a viable approach?

Tthe router is Actiontec MI42WR Rev C

Thanks

Frank C

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Change printer address
FrankGC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

My problem is now apparently solved (7/27/16).
I got some help from The "Geek Squad". The agent showed me how to limit the address that could be dynamically assigned using the router pool.
In advanced mode IP address distribution on Network (Home/Office), we set IP address distribution at 182.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.174.
This made the address 192.168.1.200 available to the printer. We changed the printer address in IPv4 configuration in the
Office jet pro 251dw printer web site(192.168.1.200) to that address and set it to static - in the router.
He did assign port 9100, I am not clear as to why this was needed.
The printer has been working since July 25 without becoming disconnected.

Frank C

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you can configure the ip address in the printer directly, do this.

Power off router.

Change IP address on printer.

Power up router.

Issue is that router still has old entry for printer.

Powering it off and then changing ip will eliminate that conflict.

Also, why does your router need a static ip?

Doesn't driver software find it regardless?

I have no issues with my printer using DHCP for ip.

schinfchin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think it would be simpler if you designate the IP address for your printer as "Static" and the address won't be re-assigned dynamically to other devices. The dynamic addresses would simply be assigned above and below it.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

CRobGauth has one way to do it ... if you want to still use DHCP reservation, then:

- Write down the MAC address of the printer

- Power down the router

- Power down the printer

- Power up the router

- Add the DHCP reservation with the IP address and MAC of the printer (there should no longer be a conflict, if there is, find the address in the current DHCP assignments and delete it)

- Once add and the router reboots, power on the printer and it should pickup the new IP address.

FrankGC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

My problem is now apparently solved (7/27/16).
I got some help from The "Geek Squad". The agent showed me how to limit the address that could be dynamically assigned using the router pool.
In advanced mode IP address distribution on Network (Home/Office), we set IP address distribution at 182.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.174.
This made the address 192.168.1.200 available to the printer. We changed the printer address in IPv4 configuration in the
Office jet pro 251dw printer web site(192.168.1.200) to that address and set it to static - in the router.
He did assign port 9100, I am not clear as to why this was needed.
The printer has been working since July 25 without becoming disconnected.

Frank C

0 Likes