Change wifi name and password?
destiel36

I have fios, and the wifi name and password are too ridiculous to remember, but I can't find any way to change them to something more practical, how do I chnage them?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Change wifi name and password?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Login to the router

Click on the Wireless Settings icon at the top

Click on Basic Security Settings from the left menu.

Change the SSID under number 2..

Click Apply.

Click on Advanced Securty Settings on the left menu.

Select the WPA2 radio button.

Fill in the key.

Click APPLY.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Login to the router

Click on the Wireless Settings icon at the top

Click on Basic Security Settings from the left menu.

Change the SSID under number 2..

Click Apply.

Click on Advanced Securty Settings on the left menu.

Select the WPA2 radio button.

Fill in the key.

Click APPLY.

Ripken89

How do you login to the router? Thank you have a great day! God bless!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
Popjoe
How to change wifi password to easier to remember
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Popjoe wrote:
How to change wifi password to easier to remember

The steps to make the change are spelled out in the second post in this thread by Anti-Phish.

0 Likes
CHARCOAL2

FORGOT MY WIRELESS NETWOK PASSWORD

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@CHARCOAL wrote:

If you're still using the default WiFi password, it should be on the router itself.  If not, log into the router from a hardwired connection (192.168.1.1), use the admin and router's password (which is different than the WiFi password and on a sticker on the router), and click on WIreless Settings.  If you can't log into the router from a wired connection you will have to reset the router to default and then use the default WiFi password, which you can then change as described above.

(FYI: All caps in your question isn't really necessary -- it's like you're shouting at us.) 

0 Likes
djb5
Contributor - Level 3

@PJL wrote:

@CHARCOAL wrote:

If you're still using the default WiFi password, it should be on the router itself.  If not, log into the router from a hardwired connection (192.168.1.1), use the admin and router's password (which is different than the WiFi password and on a sticker on the router), and click on WIreless Settings.  If you can't log into the router from a wired connection you will have to reset the router to default and then use the default WiFi password, which you can then change as described above.

(FYI: All caps in your question isn't really necessary -- it's like you're shouting at us.) 

Hi Charcoal - all good info given to you above by PJL. But I just went through this myself yesterday and I found a few gotcha's. I see it's your first post, so maybe you are new to all this like me so I'll tell you things I learned that weren't obvious to me.

Oh, and it's great to search for related threads before starting a new one, but if what you find is very dated (like this one, that was started in April 2013, it can be better to start a new post of your own (because sometimes things could have changed since then!) Good luck!

• To get to the login site, you do use the location PJL provided, type in 192.168.1.1 in your browser as if it  to get there. That will get you to this link: http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active%5fpage=9095&req%5fmode=0
  • When you enter your password, each letter you type in will appear to be replicated 5 times. Ignore this effect! just continue to enter the password.
  • If you have trouble trying to login and can't figure out the right password, Online Chat might be able to help you (and avoid doing the reset routher thing. They did that for me.
0 Likes
cabnva1
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE: as of 9/13/2017, the WPA2 Radio Button is on the Basic Seurity Settings page. Click it even if it's already checked and the password change option displays below.imageScreen Shot of Basic Security Settings

0 Likes