Changing Coax to Ethernet for New Router
Nachal

I'm a total novice on these matters, so I could use some advice, hopefully in plain English.

I have an older FIOS ONT hooked up to a Verizon provided ActionTec Router via coax cable.   I have the FIOS triple play but don't use the TV service (never even rented the TV box); only internet and phone "landline."

My service is supposed to be 100bps up and down, but the signal is weak and slow (don't need much speed, even to stream Netflix).

I'd like to replace/upgrade the router at a modest cost but these days all routers receive signals via ethernet.   I rather not incur the cost of having Verizon come in and replace the cox with an ethernet cable (not capable of doing it myself since the configuring seems above my pay grade).  

Can I remove the ActionTec and install a device (will a MOCA do this) to interface/convert coax to internet so that I can install the router of my choice?

Alternatively, can I leave the ActionTec in place and run an ethernet cable from the ActionTec to a new router?  Do I have to disable the ActionTec in some fashion so that it becomes merely a dumb interface to the new router?  If so, how do I go about doing this?

Tks all

Steve G.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Changing Coax to Ethernet for New Router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here's what it takes to switch from coax to Ethernet

• Run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router's location.  Depending on where the devices are, this could be as easy as getting a cable and plugging it in or could involve fishing cable through walls and floors.
  • Contact Verizon and ask them to change from coax WAN to Ethernet WAN.  Use chat or twitter support for best results.  Takes about five minutes.
  • If not changing routers, unplug the coax then plug in the Ethernet.  A router reboot might be needed.
  • If changing routers, remove the old router.  Install the new router using Ethernet.

Note that if you use a non-Verizon router as primary, they will not provide any support past the ONT.  Typically not a problem as FiOS is very reliable.  But you should know this.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

MoCA WAN adapter are old and hard to come by so keep the Actiontec in place and get a wireless access point...

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-Wireless-Access-WAC104-100NAS/dp/B01LFSDZCU/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dch...

That will be pretty much plug and play. Just connect it to the Actiontec's LAN port and it should have a preconfigured wifi. I would also recommend disabling the Actiontec's wifi to avoid any wifi interference. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here's what it takes to switch from coax to Ethernet

• Run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router's location.  Depending on where the devices are, this could be as easy as getting a cable and plugging it in or could involve fishing cable through walls and floors.
  • Contact Verizon and ask them to change from coax WAN to Ethernet WAN.  Use chat or twitter support for best results.  Takes about five minutes.
  • If not changing routers, unplug the coax then plug in the Ethernet.  A router reboot might be needed.
  • If changing routers, remove the old router.  Install the new router using Ethernet.

Note that if you use a non-Verizon router as primary, they will not provide any support past the ONT.  Typically not a problem as FiOS is very reliable.  But you should know this.

Enjoy.

Nachal

Wow.  Thanks.  The ONT is in my basement and the router immediately above.  I'll have to see if I can thread an ethernet cable through the same how where the coax runs.  Do you suggest that I detach the coax first or try to run the ethernet in parallel alongside the coax? 

Thanks again!!!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you disconnect the router from coax before Ethernet is activated, you'll loose internet.  It will come back when the cable is run and you contact Verizon to do the switch.   Depending on how fast you run the cable and how long it takes for Verizon to respond to your request, it could be rather quick or it could be many hours or more.  It's up to you to decide if the downtime is acceptable.

If you want to avoid downtime, run them in parallel.  Or, you could temporally move the router to the basement to keep internet active while you replace the coax run with Ethernet.

If this is beyond your skills, either hire someone or do as Edg1 suggested and simply attach an access point to your Actiontec.

Good Luck.

Ewhite2

Hi - I’m going to run Ethernet cable through my wall in preparation for Verizon to upgrade my ONT so I can switch from coax to Ethernet and upgrade my plan. Since the ONT is in the basement, would like to put the Verizon wireless router on 1st floor. Is the Fios setup compatible with CAT8 Ethernet cable?

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ewhite2

Thanks! I bought CAT8 assuming it will work with the fios ONT and WiFi, figured if I’m taking the time to run it through the wall want to future proof it. I think I only need CAT 6a or higher for the speed I’m ordering.  So hopefully there’s no reason why a CAT8 

wont work with it, like it’s “too new” or something. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You really only need CAT5e, it handles 1Gbps just fine.  I installed CAT5e in my home almost 20 years ago back when 5Mbps was a fast service and 100Mbps Ethernet was standard, and it's still going strong with my 1Gbps service and 1Gbps Ethernet today.  These days, CAT6 is about the same cost, so no reason not to use it.

Make sure you check out the cost of jacks, plugs and termination tools.  CAT5e and CAT6 parts and tools are inexpensive and available even at big box home centers.  I haven't checked on CAT7 and CAT8 costs, but I expect it to be higher, maybe significantly higher, then CAT5e/6.

Also make sure you understand how to terminate the cables properly.  Even with the right tools, it can take some time to master the needed skills.  It's not hard with CAT5e/6.  I've no idea if it's harder with CAT7/8, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is.

Unless you plan to run a data center in your home, 1Gbps is likely to meet your needs for quite some time.  If so, I suggest you stick with CAT5e/6.

Ewhite2

Yeah, that’s where I start running into issues. At the termination. Can’t find any female to female plates/connectors like I can for 6. Unless I want to cut the wire and terminate it myself which I’d rather not do. Thanks!

0 Likes