Re: Changing WEP to WPA2
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@prisaz wrote:

Yea I was thinking more along the lines of the Digital PDP11-83 with RSX11 Plus. Pre Micro VAX. It was not as easy to delete files back then. No main stream MS Windows. But we were running some special apps on Windows 1.x or 2.x, now that is some history.Smiley Embarassed Getting old and off topic.Smiley Wink

Heh, fun stuff 🙂

0 Likes
WoodyDavis

I don't get any of this.  First off, this website is incomprehensible - where do I post a new message.  Where are the "boards?'  My question:  so I switch from WEP to WPA2 and my iphone and every other device gets disconnected.  Is there a simple solution?  If not, I'm sticking with WEP and taking my chances.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

IPHONES love WPA2 and hate WEP.  Not sure where you are encountering a problem.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

If you change the properties of a WiFi SSID (other than just  the channel ) you will need to go into every device and tell it to forget the old SSID and then reacquire and then reconnect each device to the SSID and reenter the password/paraphrase.

It is worth the trouble to switch to WPA2 as WEP is almost worthless as a security device.   Any script jockey in your neighborhood should  be able to log onto your network in just a few minutes.

If you want to see a demonstration of how trivial it is connect  to a network using WEP  just search for a how to video on YouTube.

If you switch to WAP2   use a strong parapharse.   I use a sentence with fifteen characters, including numbers, special characters and puncutation.   If you aren't willing to use a strong parapharase and use a weak eight digit pasword then it to can be hacked quicky by running a dictionary attack against it.

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Go to the above site to test your password.