Changing an account holder
Naz616

Hey there, I just seperated from my husband and I was in charge of the cable bill.  I now want to transfer our cable account from my name to his without worrying about shutting off the service and having a technicial come back out again.  Can verizon just change the billing person from my name to his? 

Any help would be very much appreciated... and thanks in advance. 

-Naz

0 Likes
Re: Changing an account holder
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@Naz616 wrote:

Hey there, I just seperated from my husband and I was in charge of the cable bill.  I now want to transfer our cable account from my name to his without worrying about shutting off the service and having a technicial come back out again.  Can verizon just change the billing person from my name to his? 

Any help would be very much appreciated... and thanks in advance. 

-Naz

Hello,

This depends on a few factors... here are some questions to consider and are normally reviewed:

Are you:

1) the sole account holder on the current bill?

2) moving to a new address and need to set up Verizon service for yourself at a new location?

3) currently under a 2-year agreement?

--

Is your husband:

1) willing to be the new account holder?

2) looking to reuse the same equipment (router/set top boxes) at the house?

3) keeping the same telephone number (if you currently have telephone service)?

4) keeping the same/similar TV/Internet/Voice package you currently have?

For a simple change of ownership on the account  both parties have to be agreeable to the switch.  A credit check would need to be performed for the new account holder.  If same equipment will be reused, a technician install would not be needed, just ensure that these are not moved and the cables are not unplugged. There would be a loss of service for a few hours, though.

However, if during the discussion, your husband decides he wants a completely new bundle with the higher speeds, and new equipment from the beginning, and is also particular about pricing/promotions, then this could likely necessitate setting up a brand new account under his name as well as a technician install.

If you are exiting from the account and the responsible party on the account is going to be your husband going forward, then Verizon would provide him the options available as a new customer also so that he can make the necessary choices for the services that he wants.

Please contact a Verizon representative when you are ready:

- 1-800-837-4966 (Customer Service)

- a local Verizon FiOS store: http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/general+support/account+issues/questionsone/8...

Hope this helps!

bigm001
Enthusiast - Level 2

What happens if the account holder passes away?  Can a family member in the same household like a son or a husband take over the account?  If so, what are the procedures?

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@bigm001 wrote:

What happens if the account holder passes away?  Can a family member in the same household like a son or a husband take over the account?  If so, what are the procedures?

Before the current account holder's services can be cancelled, the family member needs to provide legal documentation to have the services disconnected on behalf of the deceased (or incapacitated) account holder (e.g. death certificate, power of attorney).  There would be a discussion of the final bill on the account and how it will be handled.

A credit check would need to be performed for the new account holder.  Then the other questions would normally be asked from the incoming party:  keeping the same phone number, billing address, equipment, same/similar TV/Internet/voice package or different bundle components (the latter choices would impact the pricing/promotions).  

It could be done as a change of ownership or renegotiated as a new account depending on what would work best. 

Contact a Verizon representative when any changes on the account need to be made:

- 1-800-837-4966 (Customer Service)

a local Verizon FiOS store: http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/general+support/account+issues/questionsone/8...

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Naz616 wrote:

...I was in charge of the cable bill.  I now want to transfer our cable account from my name to his without worrying about shutting off the service ... Can verizon just change the billing person from my name to his? ...

This is an easy switch, but you will have to do it over the phone.   VZ will ask that the new account owner complete an "Assumption of Liability" prior to actual transfer.  Subsequently, you will receive a final bill in your name (which may include credits), and the new invoices will be the responsibility of the new owner.  Remember, you will not be able to do this online, but only by contacting Customer Service via telephone.

0 Likes
Maribelthecat

0 Likes