Changing my network name and password
drparpor

I am trying to change the id and password for my network and I am following the steps by going to http://192.168.1.1, but every time I type my password, there is three characters for every letter I type.

I tried three different computers and I have the same problem

does any one know what am I doing wrong>?

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Changing my network name and password
FuiosMark
Enthusiast - Level 1

You are doing nothing wrong

What your are experiencing is a security feature

If someone is spying on your screen, they are unable to determine the exact number of characters in your password

Focus on your password and you should be OK

Don't pay attention to the number of dots in the password field on the router admin page

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

When logging into the router, the password field will display "extra" characters while you are typing in your password.   This is considered a security measure against someone who might be looking over your shoulder albeit a pretty poor one.

Just ignore the screen and type the password without looking.

NOTE: This userid/password is the router userid and password, not  your verizon account or wireless network password.

sharone3

Please confirm for me, what is the router ID and password? Is this the WAN id?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@sharone wrote:

Please confirm for me, what is the router ID and password? Is this the WAN id?

No.  The default id is "admin" the default password is the serial number of the router,  Originally they were setting to "password" or "password1" but they SHOULD have been changing this because of security concerns a year or more ago.  You can change both of these.

If none of these work you can reset the router (a recessed button on the back of the router).  You lose any personalization you did to the router, but can then logon.  Most routers will then ask for you to set the admin user id and password.  Some will make want the password of "password".  After setting the password, logout, and then make sure your new password works before making any other changes to your router.

0 Likes
Paladin75

What about if I forgot my network password?  What can I do?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you have one of the NEWER routers (two antenna) then there is a red sticker with your password for the router login printed.

IF it's a single antenna then it should be CASE SENSITIVE And it should be the Serial number of the router which would be like CSJX___________  or SSJX___________

X is a variable so read the sticker carefully, but it should be all caps.

and if you have to reset that PW then you would hold in the reset button on the back of your router for 15 full seconds (you might need a pencil or a pin to push it in, it's tiny and it says reset)

sticker looks like this on the single antenna units

the dual antenna is similiar but RED