Choppy Internet Streaming
onefifty
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FIOS Internet, and cant watch any streaming videos smoothly. I have NHL Gamecenter subscription, and I cant watch 5 minutes of a game on the lowest setting without it breaking up and stopping to buffer.  I have tried to "optimize" my settings, and i have tried to watch the videos on all 3 of my PC's including my desktop, which uses a wired internet connection.... Any suggestions? The speed tests I have run will show anywhere from 5 MBPS DL to 14 MBPS DL....

Thanks

David

Re: Choppy Internet Streaming
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Have you tried to reboot your verizon router?    What kind of Anti-virus software are you running and are they common among all the computers?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

make sure you're wired speeds are normal before you continue.   So how fast should it be?

Do a couple things first for us. 

Get on the wired machine  (if it's windows 7 don't start IE like normal, do a right click instead, and run it as administrator.)

Re-run the Verizon Optimizer (in rare cases you'll have to reboot the PC for the change to take affect, or at the very least shut down IE and then Re-open)

and then test at http://speedtest.verizon.net and let us know what you get. 

If we can get your wired connection running as fast as it should consistently then we can get the wireless fixed next,.  

onefifty
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok sorry for the delay, I've been sick, and work a crazy night time schedule lately. 

I can't even get the broadband test to run... I have tried running IE and Firefox as administrator, navigate to the test page, and once i click to initiate the test, it just doesn't start.  ( 

Checking Connection
Not Started...
Upload Test (10 seconds)
Not Started...
Download Test (10 seconds)
Not Started...
Analyzing
Not Started...
I have tried rebooting the modem, and this has not made any difference. The strange thing is that I have run the speed tests in the past successfully, so I dont know why it's not working now.  Website problem?
Here is what my plan states as far as speed-
VZ Fios Consumer Employee Annual Plan
VZ FiOS Employee SFU 25M/25M
All know at this point is I cant stream a hockey game at 800 kbps. I can't even watch an archived game, nevermind live streams. I'm paying 20.00 a month for access to NHL games that I cant watch so I appreciate your help! Thanks!

lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

Try the speed test, at speedtest.net,it could also be your computer,do you run disc cleaners defrag,what are the specs on the computer,video on a computer has a lot of factors,RAM,Video card,CPU,Hard drive space.

onefifty
Enthusiast - Level 2

**Update**

I was able to run the speed test through In Home Agent and the results were 17mbps down and 24 up.

My Laptop is wired, and it's sepcs are:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
Other OS Description  Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DAVID-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model MM061
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2050  @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A12, 12/18/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.20500"
User Name David-PC\David
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,045.82 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.03 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.21 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.07 GB
Page File Space 2.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I also have a desktop which is connected by wireless which I don't use often. I will check the performance on that setup...

Hubrisnxs
Legend

is it choppy regardless if it's wired or wireless. 

did you let the in home agent optimize your connection?  you should optimize if it did not do that.

onefifty
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I did optimize the connection using the Home Agent.

And, yes, it is choppy even when wired. I suppose it is my laptop, becausethis weekend I did attempt to stream someNHL  games on my desktop which is wireless, and it ran fine. Maybe my laptop doesnt have the video rendering power and memory necessary to stream large movies and broadcasts...?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

that's a possibility yes,  I have a 7 or 8 year old dell laptop and it can't do any heavy video rendering, but i have some newer pc's that do it just fine too.    maybe more ram would help if it's older like mine was.   I put 2 gb ram in it and the video is tolerable now  - plays sd just fine but if I try to do HD it will be very choppy. 

0 Likes