Re: Chromecast on FIOS
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@keddren wrote:

I have an older MI424-WR D router, so what worked for me may not work for you, but I'll throw it out there anyway.  

I had to go into the wireless settings, into advanced security settings, then into other advanced wireless settings and change Network from Network (Home/Office) to Broadband.  I have no idea what specifically that does (and Actiontec support is being of absolutely no help) but that let me connect my Chromecast to my wireless.

Hope this helps.

This is all over my head, but FWIW, I found this setting on my MI424WR-GEN3I by going to My Network (top) then Network Connections (left) and clicking on the Network I wanted to change, then clicking the Settings button (bottom). Options were Broadband Connection, Network (Home/Office), or DMZ.

I'm not confident enough to mess with these, since my network is working fine, but perhaps it will help one of you guys.

0 Likes
RokITman1

@somegirl wrote:

This is all over my head, but FWIW, I found this setting on my MI424WR-GEN3I by going to My Network (top) then Network Connections (left) and clicking on the Network I wanted to change, then clicking the Settings button (bottom). Options were Broadband Connection, Network (Home/Office), or DMZ

I was excited when I found the mystery setting using your instructions, unfortunately, changing this from Home/Office to Broadband Connection disabled my Internet access.  Thank you though.

My next call will be to Verizon Tech Support.

0 Likes
AJL5

TNS_2 wrote:

I'm surprised "expert care" would say that as its wrong.  As stated

its hidden on some routers (Rev I being one of them).   The jump I

posted in December works once you logon to the router.

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active%5fpage=900

IGMP proxy (often needs to be turned off)  was posted by Bigdaddy

on dslreports.com and is

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

I mentioned both of these links to the rep, but was met with silence.  His final suggestion was to get more people to complain about support for Chromecast, because it won't work on current configs.  With enough complaints, perhaps Verizon corporate would change their policy.

I also spoke to Actiontec support, asking how to enable UPnP.  He said it's disabled at Verizon's request on this modem.  I told him about the links, and he said the pages are there, but they don't actually control any fumctionality, as it's disabled.  He suggested setting a DMZ and opening some ports, but that didn't work, either.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As a workaround, if any of you have an extra router sitting around, could you try connecting both your PC and Chromecast to the extra router? I really feel like the recent firmware upgrades for the Rev. I have messed with traffic handling. That seems to be the biggest complaint I see around here for otherwise perfectly capable hardware.

0 Likes
rbcole123

Any more updates on this?  I can't connect Chromecast using my Actiontec M1424-WR Rev. F router.  Verizon tech support was of no help -- had never heard of Chromecast.  

0 Likes
Namronorman
Contributor - Level 2

@AJL wrote:

@tns_2 wrote:

on dslreports.com and is

I mentioned both of these links to the rep, but was met with silence.  His final suggestion was to get more people to complain about support for Chromecast, because it won't work on current configs.  With enough complaints, perhaps Verizon corporate would change their policy.

I also spoke to Actiontec support, asking how to enable UPnP.  He said it's disabled at Verizon's request on this modem.  I told him about the links, and he said the pages are there, but they don't actually control any fumctionality, as it's disabled.  He suggested setting a DMZ and opening some ports, but that didn't work, either.

I highly doubt enough complaints would get Verizon to change anything. Have you looked at their facebook page? It's mostly full of people complaining with zero results. Thanks to heavily biased (towards Verizon) two year contracts, they have most people where they want them. Between that and near zero expansion, I don't think Verizon is overly interested nor do they care.

0 Likes
ivaniceman

I have had similar issues as everyone else.  I just got the chromecast today and I could get through the setup all the way to when the chromecast was trying to connect to my Verizon Router.

I have a MI424-WR Rev C Firmware: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4

I turned off IGMP Proxy - didn't work

I checked the Wireless Settings -> Advanced Security Settings -> Other Advanced Wireless Options -> Switch Network to Broadband - it was already set to Broadband

I went into Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and checked the two check boxes - didn't work

I finally tried switching the Wireless Settings -> Advanced Security Settings -> Other Advanced Wireless Options Networking - Broadband over to Network (Home/Office) and I was able to connect!!!!!!

This Network setting seems to be the opposite of what other people are saying, but maybe something along the way triggered it as well.  This was definitely not an easy set up.

I hope this helps. 

0 Likes
CB831

I have a MI424-WR Rev I.

I am not sure I am having a router issue because casting through my nexus tablet (youtube, netflix, etc.) works, as does casting the entire screen from Chrome. The only feature that does not work is casting a single tab. Of course, this is an important feature because it's the only way to get audio through the television in addition to video.

I have been through all of Chromecast's troubleshooting steps, reinstalled everything, and have also tried all of the steps listed in this post above.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any addiitonal thoughts? Thank you!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@AJL wrote:

@tns_2 wrote:

on dslreports.com and is

Despite what they said the posted work. 

0 Likes
dimroc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just wanted to give a note to others who might swing by this forum for help. Thanks to ivaniceman, the following worked for me:

"I turned off IGMP Proxy - didn't work

I checked the Wireless Settings -> Advanced Security Settings -> Other Advanced Wireless Options -> Switch Network to Broadband - (Mine was not already set to Broadband)"

Boom, it worked. It seems toggling between Network to Broadband triggers something. 

Good luck all.