Re: Chromecast on FIOS
Weissguy29

My Chromecast arrived the day before I went on vacation. I was stunned that it didn't work right out of the box. I was disappointed when Fioes tech support had never heard of a "chromecast", and dismayed that Google didn't provide even rudimentary troubleshooting directions.

Now, in the middle of vacation, I am overjoyed to know, that at least one person has made it work. While my system is setup for remote login, the idea of changing wireless settings remotely doesn't seem wise. Especially since I can't watch from here! I am NOT going to cut my vacation shot, but it is improved  knowing there is HOPE.

John (just a fellow traveler on this small, blue-green planet) 

0 Likes
Chromecast and Fios
tammynterry

Hi everyone. I'm hoping to help some other people out there who are trying to use Chromecast who are Fios users. As you know Chromecast will not connect with the Fios router. I tried everything possible and looked everywhere. I finally bought a Cisco AM10 Valet Connector which works through your pc's usb port. It connects in seconds and Chromecast connected to it immediately. I was streaming through my Chromecast in minutes. I hope this helps others who are having the same issue I was.

0 Likes
Re: Chromecast and Fios
gfredrickz

I had the same issues that everyone else had when attempting to setup my Chromecast using my Droid phone... I eventually got the whole thing to work by initially setting up the Chromecast using my MacBook (and not having to change any router settings).  The Chromecast was then able to connect to my Actiontec router.  I initially could not get my Droid to "find" the Chromecast using the Chromecast app.  After restarting my phone this issue was also resolved.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes
ps16

I am in the same boat, tried to change upnp,igmp, braodband, nothing woked , any other ideas or return chrome cast

0 Likes
GadgetGuy55

I had the same setup failure with Chromecast and the Verizon Actiontec router.  I had an hour long call with Verizon Tech support who was also communicating with Actiontec support.  It's disappointing that they both said they had never heard of this issue.  I tried UPnP and many other suggested router changes, none of  which worked.  After hanging up, I found this forum and changed the Advanced Wireless setting from Home/Office to Broadband as suggested and it worked!  Thanks to whoever first tried this fairly illogical change and found that it worked.  I would have never tried it. Crowd sourcing actually works 🙂

0 Likes
CB831

When I switch to broadband as suggested, my internet connection is lost. Any suggestions for being able to make the switch without losing connectivity? Thanks!

0 Likes
thrillhouse

Bump. Does somebody have any advice for CB83's problem? I'm in the same boat. Switching network type to broadband results in lost internet connectivity.

Thanks.

0 Likes
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

@thrillhouse wrote:

Bump. Does somebody have any advice for CB83's problem? I'm in the same boat. Switching network type to broadband results in lost internet connectivity.

Thanks.

Login to your router's web interface. On the main page, click on "My Network"

then "Network Connections

then "Wireless Access Point"

Does it look like this, except for the blurred parts?

If not, post a screen cap. Also, the hardware version of your router. You can find this at "Main">"System Monitoring". I'm assuming that you have an MI424-WR.

0 Likes
VZKHP

I too got UPnP message at the end of my set up.  However, I was able to cast to my tv from an IPad as well as from chrome browser on my laptop without any problems.  Casting from IPad using youtube was good, haven't tried netflix as i don't have netflix.  Casting from chrome on laptop didn't go too well as it was painfully slow.  This was all on the wireless network.

The issue i experienced was that after few minutes of casting my wireless network came to screeching halt.  I've 50 mbps download service, but it was showing 3-5 mbps on verizon speed test.  Usually it shows around 40 on wireless and 50 when wired.  After rebooting the router everything came back to normal.

0 Likes
Jon_and_Mary

I have been trying all the suggestions, and I still can't get my Chromecast on the network.  I did change over to "Broadband Connection" and am still able to get Internet access with my computers etc. My router screens look just like the ones posted here. 

At some point in my struggles I was getting the UPnP error message, but today my Mac's telling me this:

"We weren’t able to discover your Chromecast on the network.  This may require a small change to your Wi-Fi router settings. Please visit cast.google.com/chromecast/help?id=upnp for help troubleshooting this issue."

Here is my router info:

Model is MI424-WR
Hardware Version is D
Firmware version is 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4

Any suggestions welcome - I am getting ready to give up and send it back.

0 Likes