Cisco Linksys E1000 Connection to Verizon Router
DyingHere
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK here is the situation.  I spent two with a verizon tech on the following issue.

• I have new PC, windows 7, that I have connected via wireless Trendnet 150Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapater. The spped is less than 5Mbps download and upload.  My verizon plan is 25Mbps.  In the end it was determine that the verizon technology is g format and the adapter is n technology. The computer directly hard wired to the verizon router gets 30Mbps speed.
  • Bought a Cisco Linksys E1000 N technology router to connect to the Verizon router.
  • Connected to router and could not get any internet even though the signal strength was extremely good.

Got any suggestion on how to get this to work.

I am dying with this problem,

Re: Cisco Linksys E1000 Connection to Verizon Router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
RMN3
Enthusiast - Level 3

When connecting the E1000 router to your fios one, i would use one of the 4 LAN ports and not the WAN port to make the Ethernet connection between the two. Then go into the router web page of the E1000 (192.168.1.X) and make sure that the DHCP server is disabled.

Now for your speed problem. Even with wireless G you should still be fine as it can tranfer much faster than 5Mbps. The problem could be that the Trendnet usb adapter has a pretty tiny radio and your connection slows way down as you move away from the the wifi source.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Personally I would connect the WAN port of the Linksys to a LAN port of the VZ router and leave dhcp on the linksys e1000 which is what you did I would guess.  The problem you have is that the default IP subnet for the Linksys is 192.168.1 which is the same as for the verizon router - an easy fix.

Before connecting the Linksys to the vz router reconfigure the base address.  Connect directly to the linksys using an ethernet cable between the ethernet port on your pc and a lan port on the linksys

Enter in your browser address 192.168.1.1 and at the logon screen enter the credentials as in your linksys documentation - deafault userid is nothing and the default password is admin

Once logged on to to setup and network and change the router ip address to a new address, e.g. 192.168.2.1 gateway 255.255.255.0.  I would also change the wireless security setting to wpa/2 AES pre-shared key of your choice - far more secure.

Save the settings, disconnect the wire connection and connect vz lan port to linksys wan port and you should be able to connect to the internet with no issue..

0 Likes