Clicking on router in Win7 My Computer Network killed internet until router hard reset!
gman6
I blogged about a really odd bug I found in either Win7 and or the verizon fios router, check it out...
http://gregfricke.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/how-windows-7-killed-my-verizon-fios-router/
In a nutshell, double clicking on the router in the network area in my computer, killed the broadband pipe on the router until I hard reset the router.

The verizon rep said this was news to him and he escalated it internally but I wanted to throw it out there for anyone that runs into this
0 Likes
Re: Clicking on router in Win7 My Computer Network killed internet until router hard reset!
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

First of all, that router shows up as a seperate device on win7 is something new. If clicking on the icon does something like that, I wouldn't do it.

Second, there is a way to save all the wireless setings as a congig file on pc. So, next time we log in to the router that config file can be loaded.

Steps.

1] Log in to the router.

2] Click on advanced tab from the top of the router page.

3] Click on configuration file option from the page.

4] There should be a option to 'save configuration file and 'load configuration' file.

0 Likes
Re: Clicking on router in Win7 My Computer Network killed internet until router hard reset!
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you do not have at least two game consoles behind this router, in your router go to Advanced -> UPnP and turn off UPnP in the router.

^^

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@gman6 wrote:
I blogged about a really odd bug I found in either Win7 and or the verizon fios router, check it out...
http://gregfricke.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/how-windows-7-killed-my-verizon-fios-router/
In a nutshell, double clicking on the router in the network area in my computer, killed the broadband pipe on the router until I hard reset the router.

The verizon rep said this was news to him and he escalated it internally but I wanted to throw it out there for anyone that runs into this

I have an Actiontec router, I tried what you did and got somewhat different results:

1) When I look at my network in Windows 7 I see "Wireless Broadband Router" not "Actiontec ...." Strange. But a right-click on the icon and selecting Properties does show the device as an Actionte.

2) The first time I double-clicked on the router icon, nothing happened, I still had internet connectivity.

3) When I double-clicked on the router icon a second time, I did lose internet connectivity as you did.

4) When I logged into the router it clearly said the WAN was disconnected, same as you.

5) I did a reboot of the router from within the router dialog. When it finished rebooting the WAN showed "connecting". After waiting a few minutes it showed "connected" and all worked normally. No hard reset required

That is strange that it does disable the WAN. But again I was able to get it back with just a reboot. I am one of the original FiOS internet users, I still have a PPPoE connection and my WAN is Ethernet not coax so that might explain the difference, I don't know.

But yeah, Verizon needs to fix that.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes