Cloning SSID on network extender
Alvin42

I have a FIOS network extender.  I've connected it via coax.  The extender works overall, but is not cloning the SSID.  I called Verizon support and the support rep said that it won't clone the SSID if it's connected via coax and that only happens if it's connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.  Is that true?  Has anyone been able to have the network extender automatically clone the router SSID when connected by coax?

Alvin

0 Likes
Re: Cloning SSID on network extender
PhilInVa

I'm having the same issue, installed it and it is working, speed is great, but it isn't cloning the SSIDs from the router.  I hope that isn't true, I've been doing this with power line extenders and an Apple router with no issues, but I started getting power line interference, so I switched to this to extend with the coax.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Alvin42 wrote:

I have a FIOS network extender.  I've connected it via coax.  The extender works overall, but is not cloning the SSID.  I called Verizon support and the support rep said that it won't clone the SSID if it's connected via coax and that only happens if it's connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.  Is that true?  Has anyone been able to have the network extender automatically clone the router SSID when connected by coax?

Alvin

I don't use the verizon extender but in using my Netgear extender it does not match the ssid exactly. It shows on initial setup as something like netgear2.4_ext or netgear5_ext so I can see what I am using.

Normally you can go into the extenders setttings and change the SSID to what you want it to be. I have done this with the Netgear 6300 and with an old Belken extender. You login to it via its ip address. Then change the id.

Since I don't use the Verizon one I cannot say if that is possible, but cannot see why it wouldn't be possible.

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/fios/network-extender/wcb6200q-faqs

The above link should help you.

Good Luck

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@PhilInVa wrote:

I'm having the same issue, installed it and it is working, speed is great, but it isn't cloning the SSIDs from the router.  I hope that isn't true, I've been doing this with power line extenders and an Apple router with no issues, but I started getting power line interference, so I switched to this to extend with the coax.

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/fios/network-extender/wcb6200q-faqs

Folow the instructions in the link I provided above. There is a link in the FAQ that you must click on to alter your setup.

Good Luck

0 Likes