Coax Adapter To Ethernet From ONT Question
HKibs
Enthusiast - Level 1

So if I'm understanding this right, if I'm unable to run Ethernet from the ONT (basement to second floor apartment) to the router, my only option is to use a MoCa adapter like  this or this and switch the ONT to Ethernet -

ONT -> Ethernet -> Adapter -> Coax -> Adapter -> Ethernet -> G3100

As I understand with these devices, I also LOSE WiFi functionality from my router?

So now I'd need a WiFi point added in there somewhere? I still want to hard-wire multiple devices and use WiFi for a few things too.

Edit. Forgot to say, this is for Internet only, no phone or Tv.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Coax Adapter To Ethernet From ONT Question
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your diagram is correct. Either get two FiOS Network Adapters or the pair of Actiontec adapters. You won't lose wifi. The G3100 will still work as it normally would. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your diagram is correct. Either get two FiOS Network Adapters or the pair of Actiontec adapters. You won't lose wifi. The G3100 will still work as it normally would. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also, be sure there are no other MoCA devices on the coax network between the ONT and router.  You'll be sending the WAN data over MoCA, and it will not work if there are multiple MoCA devices out there.  The easiest way to do this is to ensure the coax between the two nodes is straight through without any splitters.

Since you don't have TV this isn't likely to be a problem, but it's good that you know in case you decided to use MoCA for other things.

Enjoy.

HKibs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Awesome, thanks dudes!