Coax Grounding ONT Power Supply
JCinBK

My ONT is the i-211m-l. I switched from a coax connection to ethernet to take advantage of the higher speeds. I took the coax out of my router, but I noticed that there’s also coax running through the ONT Power Supply as grounding. One end goes into the ONT and the other does/used to run to my router. Can I safely disconnect these coax from the power plug? Is it still needed if I am not using coax at all anymore?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Coax Grounding ONT Power Supply
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes the coax ground can come out. You can run a 10 gauge ground wire directly to the 211. The screw is actually in a bad place on the bottom of the 211 next to the coax. Kind of a pain because you have to take the ONT out of the enclosure to get to it. 

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

See DSLR -> All FAQs -> Verizon FiOS FAQ -> Actiontec & FiOS Quantum Gateway -> Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15990

and DSLR -> All FAQs -. Verizon FiOS FAQ -. Actiontec & FiOS Quantum Gateway -> Replacing the Actiontec (part 2): Internet only, no TV

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15991

Once you are switched to ethernet:

#1 Then Moca at the ONT you may disconnect.

#2 Disconnecting the Moca from the router is up to you. Do not disconnect if you are using the Moca as part of your LAN.

#3 As far as the Moca/coax running through the ONT Power Supply as grounding, if you using ethernet I do not see why you can not disconnect it.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have TV service?   If not, there's no reason you can't just disconnect the whole thing from the ONT inbound.   Grounding for the ONT should be coming from the power supply itself thru the power cord to the ONT (three prong plug).

It's likely the ground on the coax you have was done more to ground the shield on the coax to bleed off any RFI than to provide any kind of safety related grounding. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes the coax ground can come out. You can run a 10 gauge ground wire directly to the 211. The screw is actually in a bad place on the bottom of the 211 next to the coax. Kind of a pain because you have to take the ONT out of the enclosure to get to it.