Coax only internet?
apenney1

Hey all,

I just had fios installed and the ONT is mounted in my basement with the modem next to it.  I'm getting lousy wifi signal in parts of the house and so I started to investigate if I could move the modem easily with the cabling  that I already have.

My router appears to be connected with both ethernet and coax, leaving me confusing.  In the admin interface I see "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)" which confuses me as I can't tell if it's really coming over coax or ethernet.

My questions are, and I've done a bunch of research but get mixed answers:

* Can I connect the router to ONLY coax and get 150Mbps?

* If I can, why is it using both ethernet and coax, just to get more bandwidth?  Or is the coax purely for the DVRs?

If I can use just coax then I can add a splitter upstairs and have the modem on one side, the DVR on the other, and everything should magically work better.  I just can't be sure that coax can be used exclusively and carries enough bandwidth to serve the tv and internet just fine.

0 Likes
Re: Coax only internet?
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hope one of these manuals is of help in solving your problem

FIOS USER MANUALS  ALL TYPES

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/fiosinternet/networking/user+guides/user+guide...

Good luck with your "research"

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@apenney wrote:

Hey all,

I just had fios installed and the ONT is mounted in my basement with the modem next to it.  I'm getting lousy wifi signal in parts of the house and so I started to investigate if I could move the modem easily with the cabling  that I already have.

My router appears to be connected with both ethernet and coax, leaving me confusing.  In the admin interface I see "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)" which confuses me as I can't tell if it's really coming over coax or ethernet.

My questions are, and I've done a bunch of research but get mixed answers:

* Can I connect the router to ONLY coax and get 150Mbps?

* If I can, why is it using both ethernet and coax, just to get more bandwidth?  Or is the coax purely for the DVRs?

If I can use just coax then I can add a splitter upstairs and have the modem on one side, the DVR on the other, and everything should magically work better.  I just can't be sure that coax can be used exclusively and carries enough bandwidth to serve the tv and internet just fine.

The modem you refer to is actually a router.  What model and version is it?

From your reference to 15Mbps I assume you are on a 150Mbps package, correct?  If so they will have supplied you with a router that supports wireless N and giga ports and you will have a coax connect and an ethernet connect

You need to read this

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Speed-problems-with-150-65-service/td-p/452297

The coax connection only supports 100Mbps, thus the 1Gbps ethernet connection.  Using a coax splitter is not going to work.  If you need to move the router you will have to extend the ethernet cable from the ont to the point where you need the router and ensure that the ont is connected by coax to your in home coax network and then add a spliiter at the nearest coax point to the new position for the router and connect it to the splitter.

I suspect you could also achieve what you want to do by getting an Actiontec ECB2200V adapter - possibly someone who has knowledge of these might chime in.

With this device I think it may be possible to disconnect the coax connector from the ont to the router and instead connect the ethernet cable to the adapter and the coax connector from the adapter to the in house coax network.  Then, at the point where you want the router, add a splitter and connect the router to it.

Highly theoretical, will be interested to knwo what other's thoughts are and what the solution ends up being.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Should have added

If you have ethernet wiring in the house, the easiest solution woule be to just get your own router/wap and bridge it to the VZ router via the ethernet cable that comes rom the ont.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:

I suspect you could also achieve what you want to do by getting an Actiontec ECB2200V adapter - possibly someone who has knowledge of these might chime in.

With this device I think it may be possible to disconnect the coax connector from the ont to the router and instead connect the ethernet cable to the adapter and the coax connector from the adapter to the in house coax network.  Then, at the point where you want the router, add a splitter and connect the router to it.

This won't work for a couple of reasons.

1)  The ECB2200V adapter only supports MOCA LAN, not MOCA WAN, so you can't connect it to the ONT.

2)  The ECB2200V adapter is also limited to 100Mbps.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

HERE IS MY COAXIAL LAYOUT

WI FI GOOD ALL OVER THE HOUSE

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TomH309 wrote:

HERE IS MY COAXIAL LAYOUT

WI FI GOOD ALL OVER THE HOUSE

I believe his problem is that he has 150Mbps service and the coax side only supports 100Mbps that's why they connected a gig ethernet cable to the router to give him the extra speed.  However apparently he has no ethernet cabling to extend that network into the house and his wireless signal won't reach either.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@viafax999 wrote:

This won't work for a couple of reasons.

1)  The ECB2200V adapter only supports MOCA LAN, not MOCA WAN, so you can't connect it to the ONT.

2)  The ECB2200V adapter is also limited to 100Mbps.

Hmm, not what actiontec says, they claim it runs at 175Mbps

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=250

However I probably agree with you that it won't work though I'm at a loss to understand the Actiontec claim that you can bring verizon Fios 175Mbps bandwith to any coax port. if it Is in fact true that the coax port on the ONT only supports 100Mbps and that the device does not support Moca WAN.

After looking at the installation guide for the device then one of the 2 assumptions above is either wrong or Actiontec are lying.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

175Mbps is the PHY rate between coax ports.   Like wireless, the PHY rate is approxiametely twice the MAC rate.  The difference is taken up by overhead and forward error correction. 

The other factor is the ECB2200V has only a 10/100 ethernet port, not Gig-E.  So no mather how fast the PHY rate, you're not going to push more than 100 Mbps through the adapter.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

So I guess the last bit of my last statement is true as even though they say the max physical data rate is 270Mbps the 10/100 port will limit you to 50 anyway.  Maybe not lying, just not pointing out the obvious.

That leaves the OP's only really way of doing what he wants, to be extending ethernet from his entry point to wherever he wants his wap to be.

0 Likes