Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Coax vs cat 5 wan connection

Tehsbh
Contributor
Contributor

Coax vs cat 5 wan connection

Message 1 of 4
(1,069 Views)
I have fios triple package. I have been reading the forums on coax for Ethernet. First, is there an advantage to have the wan connection via cat 5 cable vs using the coax for wan. If I have fios phone service do I have to have the Ethernet wan connection. It seems to me that the coax wan provides more flexibility. Why would you want the wan access on the cat 5 side.
3 REPLIES 3
Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: Coax vs cat 5 wan connection

Message 2 of 4
(1,062 Views)

Coax or cat5 install?

FIOS phone comes out of the ONT and the type of WAN connection has no bearing on FIOS phone.

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 3 of 4
(1,046 Views)

@Tehsbh wrote:
I have fios triple package. I have been reading the forums on coax for Ethernet. First, is there an advantage to have the wan connection via cat 5 cable vs using the coax for wan. If I have fios phone service do I have to have the Ethernet wan connection. It seems to me that the coax wan provides more flexibility. Why would you want the wan access on the cat 5 side.

Coax cannot support the connection speed of the higher tiers so you would need to have the ont provioned for ethernet connectivity if your package include an internet access speed in excess of 100mb

hlppls
Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I

Message 4 of 4
(1,033 Views)

As viafax999 mentioned it is needed for higher tiers of service. Coax is also a easier install since it is in just about every home already. All of the stb's (not dct 700)  need pic signal  and data which can be provided on one cable. Some people want to  use there own router so ethernet is the way they go.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.