Re: Communication between wired and wireless network on actiontec MI424WR
dturkel

Wow, IGMP Proxy -- I would never have figured that out.  Thanks!  What's the downside of having IGMP Proxy turn off?

0 Likes
fpbegin

Thanks - it works - now if actiontec could only fix the problem for everyone.

0 Likes
esmoger
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow! I cannot thank you enough for posting this.

For the past few weeks my local DLNA server(wireless) had dissapeared from my Xbox's (wired) menus, and I was convinced that they removed DLNA support in their recent update. Tonight another user of the same software I use confirmed that he could still use it, so I started trying to find a solution.

I spent about 4 hours tonight tweaking settings on the Xbox, then my PC, and finally convinced myself that the router was at fault.

I was SO CLOSE to giving up completely on the problem when I stumbled onto this thread.

Disabling the IGMP proxy solved the problem immediately.

The weirdest thing about this is that everything had worked fine for about 2 months after getting FiOS, and when it broke, I was literally in the middle of watching a video through the server. The video froze, and I never saw the server listed in the Xbox again (until tonight)

I'm the only one with admin access to the router so it's not like someone randomly turned that on.. I don't get it.

Ah well.. all good now. All that's left to do is recreate port forwarding rules for a few things since one of the things I tried in vain was resetting the router to default settings.

Thanks again!!

0 Likes
gwilson4151
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having trouble getting the home sharing from my IPhone to work with my new Pioneer stereo reciever.  The reciever is plugged in to the Fios router directly and the IPhone via wifi.  I could never get the home sharing icon to show up on the IPhone when playing music.  I disabled the IGMP option in the router under Advanced configurations and, after about a minute or two, the home sharing option showed up again.  This HAD worked previously with another wifi router before I switched to Fios, so I figured that the router had something to do with the issue.

0 Likes
Stevesvp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for posting this tip!

I disabled the IGMP Proxy in my Rev. I router and that solved the problem with Bonjour.

Now my Documents To Go syncs with my iPhone.

Too bad I did not find this tip 3 hours ago- but it is working fine now!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fantastic fix!

First, I recently noticed my WiFi connected Epson Artison printer / scanner stopped being able to scan to non-WiFi computers.  Then, I discovered my Apple iThings (iPod, iPhone, ...), could only see home sharing shared libraries on WiFi computers.  I spent hours trying to figure this out - reinstalling drivers, resetting iPods, Windows 7 firewall settings, and barking at the moon (okay, maybe not the last one).  I finally decided this had to be a router issue, but nothing obvious jumped out at me.  Then I found this thread.  Then I remembered I upgraded to a MI424WR rev I a few months ago.  Then I disabled IGMP as described, and now everything is happy.

0 Likes
chuie1221

Thank you so very much for the helpful information. I've been having this problem for over 4 months now with my iTunes / Apple TV / iPad / and iTunes Match. I've talked to Apple customer support multiple times before I finally gave up. This fixed most of my problems with Home Sharing between my products and iTunes. I am still having 1 problem though. My iTunes match and Genius results never finish updating. They get stuck on step 1 "gathering information about your iTunes library" and never finish the process. I guess I have to do some more searching on a fix to this problem but once again, thanks for the IGMP proxy solution. It worked like a charm several minutes after I shut it off.

0 Likes
drd737

Now it seems Verizon or actiontec has removed the capability to disable IGMP.  Log on to the router and the link is gone. Dont you just love a company that sells you a product and makes it unuseable.  Forcing firmware upgrades to equipment to eliminate the ability to use DLNA devices.  Verizon working against thier customers as usual.  

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@drd737 wrote:

... it seems Verizon or actiontec has removed the capability to disable IGMP.  Log on to the router and the link is gone. Dont you just love a company that sells you a product and makes it unuseable ... [?]

Actually I don't think I do.

I have the latest Actiontec and found the IGMP disable checkbox under "Advanced/Routing//Routing Protocols/Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)."
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it's also been reported that enabling ipv6 under advanced is serving the same function for folks that have the newer firmware.   so give that a **bleep**  

0 Likes